Saturday, February 19, 2005

rewatching Felicity season 1

The last time I watched this was during its original airing on the WB in 1998...when I was a sophomore in high school. And now I'm a senior in college. Isn't that insane? Anyway, it's kind of amazing how my perspective has changed. And I mean, why wouldn't it have? Back then I was younger than these characters, had no idea what college was like, was just discovering Manhattan myself, and had never experienced any kind of relationship drama...not even through my friends. Now, I'm older than these characters, I'm three months away from being done with college, I've been living in the hick towns of Ithaca and Rochester for the past three and a half years, and well, now I know people whose lives are straight out of Dawson's Creek.

And of course I know how everything turns out, having seen the ending of the series.

Anyway, so back then, I thought Felicity was a total psycho, for following Ben across the country, for giving up pre-med, for meddling in everyone's affairs, for most of her over-emotional reactions to everything. I didn't like Ben because I felt like he always had that annoying smile and he seemed so indecisive, and I liked Noel because he was thoughtful and sensitive. I loved Julie's character even though I still thought of Amy Jo Johnson as the pink Power Ranger. And well, I thought that was what college was like. That college kids all had massive drama and lots of issues and everything was a big deal.

And now? I strangely sympathize with Felicity. I mean, I think that going to New York was the right risk she needed, but doing it for Ben was still ridiculous. And I actually admire that she was willing to drop a practical career to go after a not-so-practical dream. I mean, she ends up going back to medicine, and her art detour probably cost a heck of a lot of money, but at least she got to see, I don't know, what it would be like. As for Ben and Noel? Reversed. I like Ben. His character was actually pretty appropriate for his age...18-year-old guys have no idea what they want. And Noel is just too...sensitive, I guess. So I'm definitely not into Felicity and Noel as a couple. But I'm not into Felicity and Ben either, because I still really like Julie and I like Julie and Ben together.

As for the college stuff...the show makes me miss New York. I know I didn't want to stay in the city for college, it was a conscious choice I made. But gosh, I hate Ithaca. I hate living here. And it's probably magnified by the fact that I read way too many NYC blogs, but gosh, I really wish I could have a chance to live there again. And college? This is probably just my fault because apparently I'm an expert at having pretty much no drama (or friends or boyfriends...) in my life, but wow, things in Felicity-world are so emotional. There was more crying in the first episode than I did all of last semester (which is the only semester I cried at all during my entire college career).

Oh, and there is WAY too much of that "pretty and sad" acoustic guitar background music.

But I like it. It just has this nice quiet feel to it. So different from everything I'm watching now. Roswell used to have that feeling to it, too. Well first half of first season anyway (before it went downhill, see previous posts on this topic).

Wow, I'm am really plowing through this DVD set. I LOVE TV DVD SETS!

Edited to add:
Oh, I either didn't fully watch or I don't remember very well the second, third, and fourth seasons, but I do know that I didn't like them as much. And for the record, there was no Tess/Oliver/Lauren problem. As stupid as this sounds, I think that Felicity cutting her hair was part of the problem.

2 comments:

mira said...

Haha, I'm giddy with anticipation of my Dawson's Creek DVD sets. :-)

I like what you wrote about perspective changes on watching the show when it aired vs now. It's weird, like reading and rereading books from childhood (the good ones, not the ones that are dumbed down for kids), I feel like whenever I go back to them, I revert back into this world and mentality where I'm still the same age I was when I first read the book. Like I almost never feel book characters are younger than me, just older or my age-ish. Yet with TV shows, watching and rewatching, because they're so physically apparent on the TV, they change age-perspective over time. Hmphh, interesting. Though I still feel younger than those Dawson's Creek kids.

Jennifer said...

Haha I think we still feel younger than the Dawson's Creek kids because we're only now the same age as the actors were when they first started on the show!

And I agree about the book thing...I think that some children's books just have this timeless feel and that's why we love them so much. I mean, I read the Princess Diaries now and it seems pretty juvenile and it does not make me feel 14.