Thursday, February 17, 2005

KEANE

Wow! So yesterday I had the good fortune to see Keane (with The Redwalls and The Zutons opening) at Michigan Theatre. WOW! They were absolutely fantastic. I mean I liked their CD (Hopes and Fears) a LOT and felt their music is really mellow and so beautifully complemented with the piano. But man, I never realized they would be so great to watch in concert. I, having never seen the music videos for them and also being ignorant, had no idea that the ONLY instruments backing up the beautiful vocals of Tom Chaplin were the piano and the drums. So, unlike other rock bands where sometimes the many guitars, bass, drums, etc, can sorta drown out parts of the vocals, Keane just has a beautiful melding of the piano, the vocals, and the percussions.

Tom Chaplin's voice is seriously beautiful. I mean it's one thing that it was beautiful on the CD, and it's a whole entire different thing that every song he sang, every note he sang was just absolutely perfect LIVE! The pianist, Tim Rice-Oxley, was totally way too big for the piano he played on (electric piano, I think? Which is sad cuz I was expecting like a real piano like Something Corporate had at their concert. It was funny because Andrew McMahon, the lead singer and whose autograph I have!, was like dancing on TOP of the piano and stuff) , and he sorta reminded me of Linus from Peanuts and his tiny grand piano ("baby" grand?).

Anyway, Keane was absolute perfection in concert. My only complaint is that they don't have more songs to sing since they only have the one album out. They did perform 2 new songs though, and I'm really excited for their next album.

Also, taking a break from my Keane-lovin', while I couldn't say I was too impressed with the Redwalls, I really enjoyed the Zutons. They hail from Britain as well, and their music was really upbeat and fun rock. They are officially on my list of CD's to buy as soon as I can find it for <$10. :-) Even though the only girl in the band, the saxophone player, kinda dances really funny on stage.

1 comment:

lizzo said...

seriously, they were AMAZING. i was so freaking blown away. i've never seen another band so good in concert.