Monday, May 21, 2007

Upfronts -- Another take

I think what surprised me most about this year's upfronts were how few returning shows I'm going to be sticking with this fall. There's only Brothers & Sisters, How I Met Your Mother, Heroes, Ugly Betty, the Office, Scrubs, Beauty and the Geek, and Friday Night Lights. There are plenty of new shows, though, and it seems that there are two trends: sci-fi twists, and glamorous rich people...

NBC
  • So glad Friday Night Lights is renewed, but are they really putting it on Friday? I know, it's kind of fitting because of the title of the show, but Friday at 10PM? Not sure how that's going to work out.

  • Chuck sounds like Jake 2.0, so I might like it.

ABC
  • SO EXCITED for Pushing Daisies. I recently watched the full Wonderfalls series on DVD and I'm a huge huge fan of Bryan Fuller and I'm so happy to see Lee Pace back on TV. I'm still kind of worried though, because it really seemed like it could be too quirky for network TV.

  • I'll probably check out Big Shots because Michael Vartan is in it, haha.

  • Still can't really believe that they're actually doing the Cavemen show.

  • Dirty Sexy Money might end up being a guilty pleasure?

CBS
  • Really really surprised and pretty upset that Jericho was cancelled. More on that later though.

  • Um, Moonlight is Angel. Is it not?

FOX
  • New Amsterdam seems to be another version of Angel too. What the heck?

  • Kitchen Nightmares. Gordon Ramsay. I am so there!

  • The Search for the Next Great American Band. This seems to be an extension of American Idol, but is this for rock bands or just like singing groups? I'd much rather see Rock Star come back...

  • The Return of Jezebel James, scheduled for mid-season. Amy Sherman-Palladino, Parker Posey, and Lauren Ambrose? Kind of sounds like the dream team, but early reports say that it was a bit disappointing. Will definitely check it out anyway though.

CW
  • Pretty relieved that Veronica Mars was cancelled, because all the talk about the show coming back in all sort of different incarnations was just ridiculous and worrisome. I'm pretty eh about the state of the show right now, considering how much I LOVED the show first season. But more about that later with what's now apparently the series finale.

  • Yeah, like Mira, I will not be able to resist Gossip Girl. Yes, I read some of the books. Yes, they're trashy. Yes, I'm too old for it. But yes, I will watch it. I also hear that Kristen Bell will be narrating the show as Gossip Girl. She's one of the few actors that I can take hearing voiceovers from, so that's a good sign.

  • Life is Wild sounds like it's going to crash and burn like Runaway.

  • Reaper could be good. Is this the return to teen genre TV that I've been waiting for?

No comments: