Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Last post on Veronica Mars ever?

So as episodes of Veronica Mars go, I thought last night's were really pretty good. The mysteries were much less lame than they have been lately, there wasn't an excess of relationship angst, there were good doses of all the main characters, and there were lots of first and second season references and faces.

But as a series finale? Really ultimately disappointing. I mean, I don't know that I was really expecting more, since for some reason Rob Thomas was convinced that he could somehow brainwash the CW to renew his show and didn't seem to want to prepare for the possibility of cancellation, but...this wasn't a cliffhanger. This wasn't purposely leaving things open (like Gilmore Girls did). This was just plain "to be continued." And since it seems we're not getting any continuation...it's just so dissatisfying!

I guess there's really no point in overanalyzing anymore, but I'm going to interpret the way things ended between Veronica and Logan to be positive. Her "I want you out of my life" statement was really just her being overdramatic, and at the end where Logan beats up the guy she just minutes ago tells not to, I think she finally realized that no matter she says and does Logan's still going to want to defend her. And I feel like she has to respect that because of her own thirst for revenge. Just like Parker, I think Piz has got to realize that he doesn't really have a chance.

As for non-LoVe things, I'm really glad we got to see Weevil again. I actually think that the Veronica-Weevil dynamic with their constant "owing eachother" has been one of the best developed relationships on the show. The fake ID mystery really reminded me first season with all the assorted students being involved. I also liked the secret society mystery, even though they already did that back in first season too. I'm still kind of unclear about why the Castle set up that sex tape of Veronica, and I'm even more convinced that Veronica would make a really horrible FBI agent the way she keeps thinks she's so much more clever than the law, but overall it was a lot more interesting than the past couple of mysteries. Still, I liked that it got both Wallace and Jake Kane and Clarence Weidman involved. And I liked seeing the portraits of Lily and Duncan as well.

I mean, I guess we did get the best of all our characters: Veronica, the angry, vengeful outcast; Keith, the sacrificing father; Wallace, the loyal best friend; Mac, the all-powerful computer whiz; Dick, the horrible human being who maybe isn't completely horrible after all; Weevil and Veronica helping eachother out; and the Logan who's going to beat up anyone who he thinks has done Veronica wrong.

But with Veronica having really crossed the line and totally screwed up her father's election, the ending was pretty depressing in itself, made even more depressing by the fact that that was it.

Sigh.

No comments: