Thursday, May 26, 2005

J.J. Abrams Hate Club Volume 2

I predicted correctly that I would be more forgiving of Lost, but it's not really that much more. I've slowly been getting irritated by this show all season and now I'm wondering, should I just get out now?

The problem with Lost is that it just moves SO SLOW. Networks want to make more money and stretch out successful shows as long as possible, but because Lost has a restricted setting and plotline, that just means that the viewers are perpetually left hanging. There is really just one big mystery to be solved (why the heck they're on the island) and once that's revealed and/or the survivors get off the island, there is no show. You can't just start over. And unlike the X-files (which also had a long, drawn out overarching mystery), there are no small cases that can be wrapped up in one (or two) episodes to keep the show moving. The flashbacks were fine for this season, but do we really want to be finding out even more details about why Jack got on the dang plane two or three years from now? I don't think so.

This season finale had a whopping three parts and we learned basically nothing and were given a whole shitload of other questions. At this point the writers have given themselves so many clues and loose ends that I wonder if any explanation will make sense. Do the writers really think that we're all still going to be watching three years from now if we STILL haven't seen the monster or security system or whatever the heck it is? Maybe there are some patient viewers out there, but I am NOT one of them. At this speed it's practically a daytime soap with better acting. But at least those give you a new episode every day...

J.J. Abrams, you can go and shove that stupid hatch up your ass. Lost is going up against Veronica Mars next season and guess what I'll be watching? If a good number of TWOPers say that the show has redeemed itself with some actual progress (which I highly doubt, considering J.J.'s track record) MAYBE I'll watch it on DVD. That way at least I won't be waiting weeks and months for some damn answers.

3 comments:

mira said...

What's a TWOPer?

Jennifer said...

TWOPer = Television Without Pity-er. They tend to be even more bitter than I am...

Anonymous said...

Geez, so much anger Jennifer. Shouldn't you be all mellow like now that you're done with school?