Tuesday, May 24, 2005

24 season finale

A lot of people have been bitter and critical about this season because a lot of things have been unrealistic or just plain ridiculous, and I partly agree...I mean, the ability of everyone to get from CTU to anywhere in LA or vice versa in the span of a commercial break is preposterous, and man, how many times can Marwan escape? Smartest terrorist ever, seriously. Plus CTU needs to learn to put up better perimeters. These things probably would have bothered the heck out of me on another show, but for some reason 24 still remains in my good graces. I think it's just the fact that each season is inherently self-contained and I know that the major crisis of the day is going to be resolved, so I don't have to worry about where the heck the plotline is going and about the season ending on cliffhangers or anything. And no one says "Dammit!" when things go wrong like Kiefer, hehe.

Anyway, I'm glad that the writers realized that even though they want to be known for taking risks and putting on a suspenseful and riveting show, the audience will still care more about the characters. Jack, Michelle, Tony, and Chloe were really the heart of the show for me, and killing off any of them would have really pissed me off, regardless of how it would make for good TV. That said, it was a smart move to resolve the whole missile issue without too many complications in the middle of the episode and then deal with what we really cared about: what was going to happen to Jack.

But first yay for Michelle and Tony getting back together! Haha, they might possibly be my favorite couple on TV because they're on a show where relationships aren't front and center and therefore don't have to be messed with. They agreed to leave CTU and start over somewhere else so I'm going to pretend that they're going to live happily ever after...well, at least until January. FOX is doing the nonstop season again, and they haven't revealed much about who they're bringing back, except for Chloe and Jack. Michelle and Tony are fan favorites though, so who knows. Although Jack's situation is going to make things really interesting...I mean, he has a new identity! How can Jack Bauer save the world if Jack Bauer doesn't exist??

I also commend this season for having pretty good supporting characters. Curtis was cool, and I ended up liking Buchanan too. I was annoyed by his presence as Tony's competition for Michelle or whatever, but once that got snuffed, I liked his efficiency. Audrey was also annoying for awhile, but I have to say that she's my favorite of Jack's love interests so far. Well, better than Kate and Claudia anyway. She definitely had the worst day out of everyone...she and her father get kidnapped, her brother was first suspected to be involved with the terrorists and then just ends up being gay, her husband dies, and then she's told that Jack's dead too? You gotta feel some sympathy for that. I ended up liking Paul Raines a lot too. And TerrorMom was awesome. 24 seems to be really good at introducing characters that you want to hate and then redeeming them later on.

Oh but President Logan was a total wuss and I gotta say, I'm going to be examining vice-presidential candidates more carefully from now on....

Lots of thoughts and I could probably go on and on but I'll stop. I'll end with my only nitpick about the finale...what happened to Behrooz?? Poor kid. He had a really crappy day too...

No comments: