Wednesday, May 25, 2005

TV theme songs

This is a pretty strange and not very complete list, so feel free to comment in your picks. About half of these are songs that I really like and the other half are ones that I thought were very good fits with their shows.

1. Theme Song from Angel by Darling Violetta. All instrumental and just perfect for the feel of the show.

2. "New Version of You" by J.J. Abrams and Andrew Jarecki from Felicity. I actually liked the first theme song a lot and was disappointed when they changed it, but this one really grew on me because the lyrics are just so appropriate: "Can you become/A new version of you...I need a new version of me."

3. "Truth About Romeo" by Pancho's Lament from Jack & Jill. Aw I really miss this show.

4. "Superman" by Lazlo Bane from Scrubs. A very quirky and folky sound which fits in with the feel of the show really well. "I can't do this all on my own/no, I'm no Superman."

5. "Here With Me" by Dido from Roswell. Yeah, I know, typical. I can't really hear this song without thinking of Max and Liz. The original opening credits with Max and Liz looking through the window at the Crashdown at eachother were just amazing.

6. X-Files Theme by Mark Snow. All of his scoring for the show was just excellent. I'm not really sure how to describe it but it's very creepy.

7. "Next Year" by the Foo Fighters from Ed. So I never really watched this show but I thought the song was just so appropriate, with the lyrics "I'll be coming home next year" (well, even though Ed came home this year...)

8. Theme from My So-Called Life. I've mentioned this one before...very watchable opening credits.

9. "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays from the Apprentice. Come on, can you think of a better theme song for this show??

10. (tie) "Save Me" by Remy Zero from Smallville and "California" by Phantom Planet from the OC. I really like these songs independently of the TV shows (good thing because I can't stand Smallville anymore) but they were just such perfect, obvious choices for their respective shows.

And some ones that I hate: "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole for Dawson's Creek, "Closer to Free" by the BoDeans for Party of Five, and the stupid Alias theme.

3 comments:

mira said...

I'm a particular fan of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song. And the Full House one because that makes me think of being a kid.

I also am partial to Friends, "I'll Be There for You," by the Rembrandts.

mira said...

Oh, and Saved by the Bell

Jennifer said...

Oh I do like the Fresh Prince theme song. I knew that my list was lacking a lot of older shows but I couldn't remember any off the top of my head.