Saturday, May 07, 2005

Slope Day 2005

So my last Slope Day has come and gone, meaning that I am only four final exams (and one lab report) away from graduation! Yay!

For those unfamiliar with Slope Day, another quick explanation: the last day of classes (though not too many people actually go to their classes), large stretch of green hillside known as the Slope, only Cornell students and a limited number of guests allowed, two IDs checked to get $1 cups of beer (although most people get trashed beforehand), lots of cheap and free food, and this year, performances by the Starting Line, the Game, and Snoop Dogg. For photos see here. Good times had by all!

Anyway, not to stray too far from the theme of this blog, my takes on the performances:

The Starting Line: Went on at 2 o'clock-ish before most people even got to the Slope and there were only a handful of us who were actually excited for them. I was right up front and had a great view of the band. Perhaps it was the outdoor venue, but the sound was really good...the vocals weren't drowned out at all. They sounded pretty much exactly like their album, which was a good thing. The only annoying thing was the people behind me who were obviously just waiting for Snoop and were making comments like "who ARE these guys?" Oh, well. They're not my favorite band ever but I thought they were pretty good.

The Game: Um, wasn't really paying attention because we were wandering around getting beer and ice cream and trying to find people.

Snoop Dogg: REALLY FUN! Haha, so I'm not a fan of rap at all, and I've only heard his most famous stuff, but well, it was Snoop! By the time he started, the Slope was packed, so I couldn't see anything until my very nice friend offered to lift me up on his shoulders so I could watch for a little while and get some pictures. That was pretty awesome. I think I was mostly just amused because the whole thing seemed so noncohesive with our Ivy-League-ness. Haha, well, whatever. He finished off with Drop it Like it's Hot at around 5, ending a somewhat surreal but definitely memorable day.

No comments: