Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Veronica Mars!

If there is one character on TV that I would want to be, it is Veronica Mars. Because she is just so damn cool!

I remember that before this television season started I felt like there weren't any interesting new shows coming out, but I was definitely wrong. With Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Veronica Mars on, I am a pretty happy camper. Who knows if they'll keep it up, but TV shows are usually best during their first few seasons when things are still fresh.

Anyway, I think Veronica Mars is my sentimental favorite show this year so far. I think some of it is that it's not a guarantee to be renewed and I like to root for the underdog, but mostly it's because of Kristen Bell and Veronica. I admit that since I don't really get along with a lot of girls in real life, I've had trouble liking girl characters on TV too, especially the teenage ones. I mean, I did like Buffy, Willow, Rory (Gilmore Girls), Liz (Roswell), and Joey (Dawson's Creek) at some points during their respective shows, but I was never that big of a fan.

Veronica, though? I support her 100%. She's a detective, which is of course always super cool. She's the smart and tough girl, but she's fueled on emotions: her best friend's murder and her mother's disappearance. She always says the smart things, but she knows when she's made a mistake. And she has a kick-ass wardrobe, which I've mentioned before. Plus it's kind of rare nowadays that a single character carries an entire show...most shows have an ensemble feel, and even Jack Bauer isn't in every scene of 24. But this entire show revolves around Veronica, and you never feel like it should be any other way.

I also love that the show started after all the drama happened in her life and now she's starting over but still trying to pick up the pieces. It keeps the show far from teen soap and even MSCL territory. And the writers do an amazing job of juggling the mystery-of-the-week with the ongoing investigations without sacrificing character development and a good dose of humor.

Did you hear that J.J. Abrams? This is how to make a cool action show without turning your characters into paper cutouts.

Sign the petition to keep Veronica Mars on the air!

4 comments:

K said...

I signed the petition! I hope this show doesn't end up like Jake 2.0.

mira said...

well do you really want a second season???

Jennifer said...

I think I do still want a second season...I mean, I would be unhappy if it went downhill but then I just really like all the characters and I want to keep watching them, whatever they're doing. I mean, with all the crap that gets put on TV every season I think it's only natural for me to want something good to keep going.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a tim mcgraw my old friend site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!