Saturday, March 05, 2005

Jon Stewart Live

I've probably never watched the Daily Show the whole way through, but I appreciate famous people coming to the middle of nowhere (aka Cornell) as much as the next person, and well, if a man sells 10,000 tickets, then he's got to be worth seeing, right?

Right! Jon Stewart was every bit as funny as I've heard. He did two shows: the original was so popular that people camped out overnight and waited in line for hours to get tickets, so he agreed to do a second show, which they sold tickets for online. Obviously I went to the second show. I'm not sure how much material was repeated, but I guess that doesn't matter. It was really just an hour of classic stand-up. He started off by taking shots at Cornell (always fun), Ithaca, the Ivy League, and the strange stage set up (two flags and a bunch of potted plants). Then he moved onto politics, race, religion, and sexuality. Then before too many people got offended, he switched to gross-out stuff about his pets, some obligatory sex and relationships talk, and took some questions from the audience. I think my favorite part was where some guy says that this other girl who had asked a question was hot and that he wanted to meet her. After a few minutes of failed date planning, Jon Stewart is like, "what year are you?" And the guy says, "Freshman" and Jon Stewart is like, "Man, go sit down!" Haha, freshmen!

This review is turning out to be kind of uninteresting because I don't remember any specific lines (they're not funny when repeated anyway), but wow, Jon Stewart's funny. And I guess since I'm liberal-leaning, I thought he said a lot of really smart things about Bush and Iraq and gay marriage.

I'll bet most people there were Jon Stewart fans to begin with and were psyched to see him live. And I'm the opposite! Seeing him live converted me into a fan. When is the Daily Show on?

1 comment:

mira said...

hahaha, yay! I'm glad that it was an enjoyable experience. Take advantage of all you can take advantage of in Cornell while you can!!