Friday, March 11, 2005

Closer

I went to see Closer tonight at Cornell Cinema and actually I don't really know quite what to say about it, because, wow, that was a strange movie.

The beginning starts out almost funny...except it's the kind of funny where you're not sure if you're supposed to laugh or not. Then it quickly spirals off and turns into this really absurd and depressing love rhombus (quoting the OC) with lots of graphic sex talk (but no sex scenes, interestingly). Nothing too much happens, considering the movie covers four years in less than two hours, and you just leave the theater feeling disturbed. Although maybe that was the point of it? I'm not really sure.

Like a lot of the reviews I read said, Natalie Portman and Clive Owen gave much better performances than Jude Law and Julia Roberts, and I have to say that they really did deserve their Golden Globes. Clive Owen especially...I first saw him in those BMW mini-films, and he's really amazing. (And also strangely hot...) Anyway, I think that my biggest problem with the movie was that I didn't understand the motivations behind Jude Law's character, and I thought that Julia Roberts just wasn't that convincing in general. But maybe that was intentional too?

So yeah, a strange movie. And is Natalie Portman really that hot?

No comments: