Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscar nods

I generally don't care much for the Oscars because I don't watch a lot of movies in the theaters anymore, but I was really happy to see "Falling Slowly" from Once nominated for Best Original Song. I never reviewed that movie here, but it was just a really great little film, and interestingly I'd heard that song on Internet radio and really liked it just a week or two before seeing the movie without knowing the connection. It's up again a whole slew of songs from Enchanted, which I also kind of loved, but really, go Once!

Other than that, the only movies up for major nominations that I've seen are Juno and Atonement. I really enjoyed Juno, and I think Ellen Page was awesome in it, but Best Picture of the Year? As for Atonement, I thought it was sort of overrated...it's a really beautiful film and there was some great acting in it, but I didn't really think the story was all that amazing. I tried to read the book a couple of years ago, and then again this year, but I just couldn't get into it at all...

No comments: