Saturday, January 12, 2008

Cashmere Mafia: um, whatever

Even though most of the fall shows have run out of episodes due to the writers' strike, thankfully the networks still have their midseason replacements ready to go. Whether they're worth watching is another story...and in the case of Cashmere Mafia, I think I'm going to say no.

I do kind of like the cast. I've always kind of liked Bonnie Somerville, I loved Frances O'Connor in that unfaithful but entertaining version of Mansfield Park from awhile ago (her American accent is a little distracting though), Miranda Otto is pretty awesome, and it's nice to see Lucy Liu back on TV. But I think it's just really hard to make the whole Sex and the City thing with groups of adult friends work. They try to make each of the friends different in order to keep things interesting but it's not always apparent why they're really friends. This show at least attempted to explain things (they met in business school) and I guess there's the networking/connections aspect to it, but the last scene of the pilot has Lucy Liu's character tearfully telling the others that she doesn't know what she would do without them, and it's just like...oy.

I did watch the second episode (slim pickings on TV lately after all) and there were definitely some amusing parts, but I should probably stop watching shows just because they're not completely terrible.

Lipstick Jungle, another show of nearly the same premise, with Brooke Shields, Kim Raver, and Lindsay Price, is coming in a couple of weeks, but at this point my expectations are pretty low...

No comments: