Friday, January 18, 2008

Make Me a Supermodel

I used to watch quite a bit of America's Next Top Model, but two seasons a year is a lot to keep up with and to be honest, I get kind of tired of Tyra's antics on the show. So when I saw that Bravo was going to be doing their own model competition show, I was definitely interested. And Make Me a Supermodel has both guys and girls, which makes things a little more exciting.

And then of course, there's the audience voting part. For some reason it's interesting to me how different reality shows do their eliminations when they involve audience voting. I kind of hate that American Idol relies completely on the call-in votes, especially when it fuels things like Sanjaya making it so far last season. Rock Star and So You Think You Can Dance does it a bit better by letting the audience vote, and then having the judges decide who goes home from the bottom three, but a lot of times the people who really should go home don't even end up in the bottom three. I think Make Me a Supermodel has one of the best schemes so far though: the judges decide which of the models are in the bottom three, and then the audience votes for who they want to stay. I mean, these are the experts, they SHOULD be making the bulk of the decisions. Not that I'm really going to vote...I have class on Thursday nights and don't watch the show in time to be be able to vote, but I appreciate that the eliminations are being conducted this way.

Anyway, as for the actual show, it's pretty much what you'd expect. Each week there's a photoshoot and a "catwalk," and one person gets eliminated each week. For a show that's "real-time," the production values are actually really good, and I like Niki Taylor and Tyson Beckford as the hosts. Niki Taylor's a lot warmer and less crazy than Tyra Banks, and Tyson brings the male supermodel perspective that we haven't seen much of on TV. I'm definitely going to keep watching!

No comments: