Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sin City!

I'd been looking forward to this movie for weeks and I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to catch it while it was in theaters but happily I was invited to go see it today. And wow, what a cool movie.

The trailers were pretty good at preparing you for what to expect...the movie looks as close to a comic book (er, graphic novel) as you can get without actually animating the characters (though they do do that for a few scenes). The black-and-white with only spots of color just made for a really unique visual experience. There's a lot of blood and guns and violence and I have to say that the graphic novel feel helped to lessen the gore factor a little, sort of like in Kill Bill. The movie also feels very noir, like it's set during the 40s or 50s but not really.

There are three minorly connected storylines, none of which are groundbreaking or anything, but they kept me engrossed and I liked the characters. There's a male lead in each part, who are all basically trying to exact revenge and/or protect some women, but they were different enough from eachother to keep things interesting. Same goes for the villians...they were either gross, funny, or just plain creepy. And it was just FUN. It wasn't trying to be thought-provoking or anything like that..it was aiming to wow the audience and well, it wowed me!

As for the acting, I really only have a few comments: Clive Owen is still kind of hot, Brittany Murphy has confirmed herself as one of the worst actresses in Hollywood, and Alexis Bledel, even as a hooker, is still pretty much Rory Gilmore.

1 comment:

mira said...

AHhhh, I hope to get to see it next week!!!