Saturday, April 09, 2005

romantic comedies and such

I haven't posted in a while because well I haven't had much to post about. I'm 8 weeks behind in Alias, there have been no new Gilmore Girls eps in a while, I can only post so often about how much Summerland sucks, The OC is just eh at the best, and I'm even bored with Desperate Housewives believe it or not. So there we go on the TV front. I just ordered 7 CD's on BMG, so maybe I'll start writing about music one of these days...

Anyway, while I've been super duper wanting to see Sin City, I haven't gotten the chance to yet! Apparently it's not a movie I can convince my female coworkers to watch with me. It's a "guy movie" or something! *sigh* So instead, yesterday I got to watch Miss Congeniality 2. Ya know, I enjoyed the first movie a lot. I mean it's not my favorite movie of all time, nor anywhere close, but it was a good laughs, cute romance movie. I was worried with the sequel because I knew that Benjamin Bratt wasn't in it. I didn't want them to go and make her a NEW love interest, ya know? Well they worked it in pretty well. Cuz the sequel starts off only 3 months after the first movie left off. She's been "seeing" him, but right off the bat he breaks up with her. Which then leads her to the breakup blues which leads her to deciding on a drastic lifestyle change. Anyway, I was happy because this was just a comedy and not a forced romantic comedy, keeping it different from the first one. Because I personally hate when there's a first movie, and you're rooting for a couple to get together and finally they get together at the end and then they make a sequel, and now you're rooting for a different guy. (Yes, run on sentence, I know!) But it's kinda sad that the "perfect couple" you were rooting for? Well in the long run they could break up and you never know cuz the movie doesn't show that! So Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in You've Got Mail? Who knows, 6 months down the line they could realize that they're just so frustrated with each other that they break up. Or Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles in 10 Things I Hate About You? Maybe she goes off to college and finds a better guy and breaks up with him. Most likely in her senior year of college in the hopes of really living her college experience. I mean even in the Princess Diaries movies, Mia and Michael don't stay together! So really, since we don't know the afterstory of romantic movies, how do we know that they really stay together as soulmates for the rest of their lives? The thing that's at least sweet about the depressing ones where someone dies (ie. Message in a Bottle, Up Close and Personal, and my all-time fave Moulin Rouge) is that you know that at least they loved each other until the last moment of that person's life. Well at least the dying person loved the living person until the last day of their life. The living person could possibly mope around, and have another great love story afterwards. *sigh*

Okay I sound like a girl who's been recently dumped or something, which I'm really not. It's just that it's a little sad thinking about the ephemeralness of "true love" in movies.

No comments: