Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Talk Week 28

J: In honor of San Diego Comic-Con, which was just this past weekend, who is your favorite comic-book superhero?


Jennifer: Of the big ones my favorite is probably Batman, kind of because he doesn't actually have any superpowers and is more reliant on smarts and technology to fight evil. I haven't read any actual Batman comics though so this is based on movie portrayals. I like Christian Bale although his Batman voice is pretty preposterous. I also really like Rorschach from Watchmen...I actually read this and haven't watched the movie yet but I've heard good things about Jackie Earle Haley in the role.

Mira: This was really hard for me because I kept thinking about superheros I'd love to be. One additional problem: I don't actually read comic books at all... But in any case, I decided to pick as my favorite comic-book superhero... Wolverine! a) He's pretty bad ass. b) I like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men 1, 2, 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. c) I went to Michigan and I'm *proud to be a Michigan Wolverine.* ;-) d) He's bad ass. Now if I could have any superpower? Force field and being invisible like Invisible Woman ("Fantastic Four") or Violet (The Incredibles).

3 comments:

burkie said...

definitely Batman. such a complex character and so many different ways to interpret him. and The Joker is such a great arch-nemesis for him. great villians make great superheros :)

for that reason, i always enjoyed The Flash, too, because his rogue's gallery was ridiculous!

great call on Rorschach, jenn. Watchmen was a great stand-alone graphic novel, probably the first great great novel. perhaps the only great graphic novel? i, too, haven't seen the movie yet, but Rorschach was a terrificly realized character.

(i also agree that christian bale's voice was preposterous)

mira, those are great reasons to pick Wolverine :)

burkie said...

oops! i meant to type "...first great graphic novel" not "...first great great novel."

mira said...

i didn't read the graphic novel but i saw the movie. he was a fascinating character. :)