Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday Talk Week 26

J: What is your favorite theater production that you've seen (play or musical)? Which ones haven't you seen but want to?

Jennifer: I'm going to go classic and say The Phantom of the Opera is my favorite, even though I was pretty young when I saw it and didn't actually understand the story. I do remember thinking the chandelier crash was pretty spectacular and I still love the music. I've been wanting to see Wicked ever since it came out (despite having HATED the book) and am trying to see it sometime this fall, so we'll see if that works out. I actually haven't seen very many plays but would like to, even just locally. Mira, how about this?

Mira: Absolute favorite for me is also a classic, Les Miserables. It's the one musical that I really think I can watch over and over and over and over again. Love the story, love the music, love the characters... Funny thing with Phantom of the Opera and me -- a) I regretfully must admit that I fell asleep. To qualify that, the music is beauuuutiful, but also beautifully soothing at times. b) I was sitting towards the back in orchestra so when he was singing up in the chandeliers, I had NO idea what was happening until all of a sudden there was a chandelier crash on stage. Hahaha. Anyway, I, too, really, really want to see Wicked. But I would have to admit I'm on the Glee-Wicked bandwagon. Glee introduced me to "Defying Gravity" and since then I've become obsessed with wanting to know more about Wicked. I'm curious about Spring Awakening as well. OHHHHH, wait -- one more thing I need to add with my favorite. Cirque Du Soleil 'O'. It's kind of unbelievable that this is a theater production, but it is and it's AMAZING. And Jenn, I'm game! Except I have a very small window when I'd be able to go... :)

5 comments:

mira said...

yeah, i'm an idiot and don't know the days of the week, so it's Thursday on our blog a day early this week. :D

burkie said...

dork! :)

great question! my favorite was shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon. it was a great moment for me.

it's kinda hard (for me) to believe, but i've never seen "Hamlet" so that probably tops my list for want-to-sees. well, that and a musical that i've been planning to write for about 30 years now....

burkie said...

and, while it may be hard for new yorkers to open up to the idea, the theater scene in DC is very good, diverse, and creative.

Fanny said...

I actually haven't seen that many. First musical I ever saw was "Miss Saigon",but before even seeing it, I was pretty much in love with it already having watched "The Making Of.." documentary multiple times with Candy and listening to the soundtrack. That actually happens a lot for me, in which I listen to the soundtrack and know the story before actually seeing the production. It was the same way with Les Miserables. Candy and I tried getting tickets to see Wicked, back when it was starring Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth, but it never worked out. Having seen them do performances on TV, I don't think I would want to see it as much without them two.

=) said...

Even though Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth aren't in it anymore, I still really want to see Wicked. Love the soundtrack. I just read the storyline today and really enjoyed it - certainly WAY better than the book (granted, I only made it through a few pages before deciding that I didn't like it and didn't bother to finish).
Miss Saigon always was - and probably always will be my fav...wish I could've seen it with a young Lea Salonga as Kim. I'm with Mira...O was...beyond spectacular.