Saturday, May 06, 2006

dvr's, changing the way america watches tv...

So the way in which one watches TV can actually be analyzed across cultures -- did you know that?

In Korea, the majority of TV shows are "miniseries" that last for any number of episodes between 16 through 24. These "miniseries" are aired twice a week, ie. Monday-Tuesday, Wednesday-Thursday dramas, Weekend dramas, and for 2 to 3 months. They conclude with the final episode and are very rarely revisited.

In the US, most Americans have "TV nights," being the nights of the week when their favorite shows tend to air. And these are the only nights they make a concerted effort to watch TV. Whether you are a Must-See-TV Thursday, Monday Night Football, Lost-Alias Wednesday, American Idol Tuesday-Wednesday... You have your TV show night. And guess what happens? You tend to watch everything else that is on TV that night, too. That's why pairing up loser shows with awesome shows works so well for networks. (I mean c'mon, would you REALLY still be watching Will & Grace if it weren't for My Name is Earl and The Office?) That is also why the rare 30-minute sitcom that is INCREDIBLE but left to fend for itself in a crappy timeslot fails. (ie. Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential) People need that 1+ hour pull to make time on those nights. Sit down for a quickie 30 minute show? Pshaw. If you sit down, you're sitting down for 2 hours minimum. And since sitting in front of the TV for one show = multiple hours of shows, Americans must limit themselves by watching TV on certain key nights only.

Of course, for the "privileged" few (you know, the ones who actually have jobs and make money and can afford luxuries like the following), DVR's and TiVO's are changing the way we watch TV. We can just let our little machines do all the work for us, and whenever we feel like making time, sit down and catch up on a whole lot of episodes at once. Skip all the commercials, not be tortured by cliffhangers, it's wonderful -- no? Yes... and no. Yes, for everything already mentioned. No, because I am now NEVER caught up with all my TV shows. But I've made a dent in it... So here are some long overdue observations thanks to DVR (and some thanks to mininova as well)...
** Spoiler Alert: If YOU are not caught up on your DVR shows, continue to read with caution **

Stephen was FINALLY kicked off of Top Chef, making the last few episodes bearable to watch. Except I'm fully flabbergasted at how Lee Anne's dish was judged inferior to Tiffani's... Whatever, I'm rooting for Harold to the end!

I went into watching Bedford Diaries wanting to hate it and hoping it'd be really dumb... But I actually really like it. Not even in a Dawson's Creek / Laguna Beach / Summerland "I'm ashamed to admit to liking this, but it's a guilty pleasure" kind of way. But I really feel like the show has created many interesting characters and complex The WB-style relationships, and that the show presents themes in each episode that are very relevant to how the storylines develop.

I am 3 months behind in The OC with no desire to catch up. But ::sigh:: there are rumors of a Marissa kill-off, so that may definitely make it worth catching up on. We'll see... Also 3 months behind in Desperate Housewives but ehh, don't care so much.

8th and Ocean -- how is this a show that completely escaped my radar? I haven't yet watched an episode, but I am eager to get started on it. By the makers of Laguna Beach? 10 beautiful people living in one house? "Real life" drama? I'm there!

Alias, talked about it earlier, just as unexcited about it now. Just glad it's the countdown to the last few episodes EVER.

West Wing and 24 -- the only two shows I'm keeping up with real-time. And oddly enough, shows I never watched until this season. I'm really sad that this is the final season of West Wing but I like how they're ending the show with the end of the Bartlett Administration. I'm also super happy that Santos offered Vinick Secretary of State. SUPER happy about that. And Chloe seriously rocks. As does Audrey -- could she be Jack's OTL?

All other shows, just not worth talking about. This entry is long enough anyway...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yay you posted! I've been watching all of my TV between Friday afternoons and Sunday nights so I tend to not be able to formulate thoughts...

I really like 8th and Ocean, haha. It doesn't have as much "drama" as Laguna, probably because it's about people who actually have jobs and stuff to do besides going to the beach and stealing boyfriends. It's kind of interesting to see how the modeling biz really goes.

Amazingly you didn't mention Gilmore Girls. I'm pretty eh on it in general but Lane and Zach's wedding was pretty fun and the Emily-Lorelai dynamic is still good. The creators are leaving after this season though so who knows what's going to happen.

I've actually been kind of liking Alias. I mean, it's so past its prime, but now that Jennifer Garner's not pregnant anymore it's getting back to being more kickass with the kooky spy stuff that hooked me in the very beginning anyway. This week's episode was pretty crazy.

I watched one episode of Bedford Diaries but due to DVR sscheduling conflicts I haven't been able to keep up even I kind of liked it. I think I just have a huge thing for Milo Ventimiglia.

The OC hasn't been too bad. The Sandy storyline has been awful but I still like Taylor and Summer and Anna came back which was awesome, and Theresa came back, which was surprisingly really angst-free and kind of nice.

Oh, and VERONICA MARS!!! Season finale tonight but I might not get to it until Friday afternoon so no spoilers please!

mira said...

hahaha Jenn I've watched ZERO episodes of Veronica Mars season 2. I need it to come out on DVD first. :-)