Monday, May 15, 2006

DVD roundup

Some movies I've watched on DVD (not so) recently:

Brokeback Mountain: I think the reason I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I thought I might was because it was just hyped up too much. Yes, it was a very beautiful movie, with amazing mountain backdrops. Yes, the acting was superb, even though I had to rewind and re-listen to half of Heath Ledger's lines because I was having trouble understanding him. And yes, the story was pretty touching. But I don't know, in the end, for me, it was just very good but not particularly great. Oh, and I couldn't get over how horrible Anne Hathaway's hairdos/wigs were. I guess that was the era, but man.

Proof: Another movie with Jake Gyllenhaal. Have I mentioned that I really like Jake Gyllenhaal? The funny thing about this movie is that when I saw the previews for it, I assumed that Jake Gyllenhaal was playing kind of a younger man to Gwyneth Paltrow, maybe because he's played that role in a couple of other movies already, and well, he is younger. But in the movie, he's only supposed to be a year younger than Gwyneth Paltrow's character. Anyway, I really liked this movie. The background music was wonderful, and it really helped set the mood of the film: complex but flowing, skipping from past to present and back without warning but coming together nicely in the end (kind of like math itself, ooh). All the acting was really excellent, and it wasn't pretentious at all (like other math movies A Beautiful Mind and Good Will Hunting, in my opinion).

Hustle & Flow: Really really good. Terrence Howard's awesome in this, really awesome, and the whole movie is just very heartfelt and engaging and surprisingly easy to relate to, despite the fact that it's about a pimp trying to make it as a rapper. I also enjoyed the music, even though I'm no fan of hip hop in general. These kinds of movies always seem to surprise me. I mean, I also really liked 8 Mile, haha. Definitely worth seeing.

Wedding Crashers: I kind of hated this movie. I'm generally a fan of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson and Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller and the kinds of movies that they make, but this one just didn't do it for me. I liked the guys and Rachel McAdams and all that, but it just wasn't kooky enough or something. I got bored about halfway through and really had to force myself to watch the whole thing, especially since it was kind of obvious how things were going to end up.

No comments: