Thursday, August 10, 2006

reality roundup

Hell's Kitchen - Man I was kind of surprised that K-Grease got kicked off this week. Okay, maybe it's not the best idea to hire a chef who calls himself K-Grease to run a restaurant, but man, Virginia just pisses me off. I don't doubt that she's a good chef creatively, but she's never been good during dinner service and the fact that she keeps flip flopping between saying that she doesn't think she's ready and saying that she wants to win is just annoying. If youíre thinking of taking yourself out, donít say it and then not do it, just do it or keep it to yourself, geez. I don't know if she really feels like that or if it's just an act, but whatever it is I don't like it. I kind of have a feeling she might win it all though. Heather's been somewhat inconsistent and I don't really get the feeling that Ramsay likes her all that much. Oh well. I don't really care who wins though I guess, the fun of the show (for me at least) is Gordon's antics. Waiting for Top Chef season 2 for the REAL cooking reality show.

So You Think You Can Dance - I feel like this show has been going on forever. I haven't been keeping up very well, mostly because up until like last week I felt like there were too many dancers to keep up. Plus I get really bored watching the traditional ballroom routines. I like the hip-hop and contemporary best I think. Anyway, the finale is next week, and of the final four, I think that the only one I don't like all that much is Heidi. She's just a little scary to me for some reason. But Travis and Benji and Donyelle are all super and I'd be okay with any of them winning. Though Travis might won me over a little because he did his solo to Konstantine by Sometihing Corporate (one of my favorite songs ever) last night...


Rock Star Supernova
- I think I tried to watch an episode or two of Rock Star INXS last year but for some reason I never really got into it. It's a bit strange because I've totally been a fan of American Idol (I even voted a bunch of times) even though I'm not at all into pop or country, which is generally what's represented on that show. I guess I'm not really that into the greasy rock that's on Rock Star either but it's definitely closer to my tastes. Anyway, I've watched a couple of episodes this season and I was surprised by how much I liked it. The look of the show kind of cracks me up: whereas AI is very bright and perky, Rock Star is kind of dark and grungy and ostentatous. The judges sit in this little balcony area in tacky chairs and they're a lot more easygoing than Simon & Co. on AI. And the music is actually pretty great, and I like their elimination format as well: America votes to detemine the bottom three, and then Supernova decides who goes home. That makes sense, these are the guys that are putting their careers in the hands of the winners, they gotta have some say in who stays or goes. Of course the question is, will I listen to Supernova's music after the show's over? Uhhhh probably not.

Fresh Meat (Real World/Road Rules Challenge Man do I hate Wes and Casey. I wasn't a fan of Wes on his Real World season and he's only gotten worse. The first couple of episodes of this challenge were almost unbearably unwatchable because of the whole Austin gang. Things got a little better once Danny and Melinda and Johanna were kicked off, but this week my hatred for Wes and Casey kind of bubbled up again, not because of Wes so much but because of Casey! At the beginning I kind of just felt bad for her because her partner sucked and he was always saying horrible things about her, but she's gotten really annoying herself. Refusing to do the jump because you're afraid is one thing, but spewing that it's crazy is just stupid because uh, yeah, everyone else did it. Plus her smack talking after winning the Exile was irritating as well. I guess I do have to give them credit for winning all those Exiles though I don't understand why the heck they never bother to do the puzzle. Last week both teams solved the puzzles and the whole thing seemed a whole lot easier. But I guess as long as they don't face a smarter team or a team that has even less luggage than they do, they're going to keep winning those dang Exiles. People I'm rooting for to win: Derrick, because he tries so frickin hard but never wins, or Darrell, because he's funny.

The Hills - LC and Jason broke up! Well not on the show, unfortunately. Lauren made what was one of the dumbest decisions I've ever heard of: to spend the summer with Jason in Malibu instead of doing a Vogue internship in Paris. PARIS!!! These shows are so manipulative that I wonder if there was something they weren't telling us, like her not actually getting the internship in the end or something. Oh well, she's young and naive (haha, actually she's only like 3 years younger than me and I'm the one still watching teen reality shows, so maybe I'm not one to talk). Second season is already a go, I hope Whitney's going to be back! And Heidi totally grew on me throughout the season, which is funny because I thought she was an incurable idiot in the first few episodes.

No comments: