Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Gilmore Girls, uneven as ever...

So last night's Gilmore Girls was interesting in that it managed to remind of both the very best and very worst aspects of the show...

The good:
Friday night dinner. The best dynamic on Gilmore Girls has always been in the family. The camera work was a little distracting at first, but it was definitely different and kind of refreshing. I loved that Lorelai, of all people, was the one who realized that the four of them just really needed to have it out. I loved that they really dug in and yelled and laughed and argued about everything from Lorelai's leaving home eons ago to Emily's attempt to buy a plane to Logan's mother to the DAR. I'm especially glad that Emily pointed out how spoiled Rory was, although coming from Emily, it probably won't make much of an impact. Actually, I doubt any of this is going to make an impact. Next week things will probably go right back to the way things were last season before Rory stole the stupid boat and dropped out of school. The dialogue and acting was just all top notch, though...

Also good, I kind of liked Logan again. My hatred for Rory sort of fueled my hatred of Logan because I couldn't stand how hard he was trying to get her back because she sucks. I liked him a lot better when he wanted to be casual and Rory didn't. But I liked how he stepped it up at the paper, even if it probably was for Rory in the end.

The bad:
On the other hand, I still don't really get why first Lorealai, and now Rory, are suddenly so forgiving of Logan. I'm not saying that his actions were completely unforgivable, but I want some explanation, man. What the heck was in that letter that Lorelai wrote Rory a few episodes ago? As a viewer I don't enjoy being left in the dark about things that completely change a character's behavior.

WHY have they killed Paris as a character? She's always been crazy but I, at least, found her kind of loveable, even at the beginning of the season when she and Doyle were doing all that funny self-defense stuff. But to make her completely sabotage the paper in order to get Rory into the editor-in-chief position? WHY?? No wonder Rory has a huge sense of entitlement...she keeps getting whatever the heck she wants without even really trying.

As always, Rory being...Rory. Her refusing to tell her grandparents about Christopher paying for college was irritating beyond words. Oh, and have I mentioned that Christopher suddenly coming into money was another plot point I hated? It is kind of believable since Christopher also comes from wealth but geez, what a conflict, deciding which of your rich relatives will pay for your education...

And then there's Luke and Lorelai's whole situation. I realize that shows tend to be uninteresting and go downhill when couples are happy and together but this Luke's-daughter thing is just awful. Luke is making me cringe because his actions are just so predictable. Being too eager to postpone the wedding, excluding Lorelai from everything involving April...man I really wanted this to be the last season of Gilmore Girls so that Luke and Lorelai could just get married and then live happily ever after. But it looks likely that we'll have to endure another whole season of this preposterous crap because damnit I can't stop watching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey jenn! it's eric from stuy. i hope all is well. buffy was my favorite tv show too...back in high school. gotta run now, O.C. is on!!