Thursday, February 09, 2006

Geek Culture

As evidenced by the existence of this blog, I'd probably consider myself to be one of the more entertainment/media obsessed people on the planet but I'm really also a geek. And over the years I think I've come to some conclusions about geek culture. In college I even took a class in 20th century pop culture and wrote my term paper on the science fiction fan communities of Star Trek, the X-files, and Buffy. That was definitely the most fun I'd ever had writing a paper. You could say that geek culture is always evolving, but here are my top geek culture indicators, probably most accurate for people currently in the twenties.

1. You love Office Space and unintentionally make references to it (i.e. TPS reports, flair, red staplers, Lumbergh).

2. Your favorite book (or at least one of your favorite books) is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

3. You watched and loved Star Trek: the Next Generation. Jean-Luc Picard, man. Patrick Stewart was my high school English teacher's father-in-law. How cool is that??

4. You're familiar with Homestarrunner and you think Strongbad is hilarious.

5. You play a geek game of some sort, like Go, Settlers of Catan, or Warcraft.

Are you a geek?

No comments: