Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Olympics coverage

I'm a pretty big fan of the Olympics in general, especially the winter ones because of figure skating and skiing but I have to say that television coverage of it pretty much always sucks. I hate how they always bounce between sports so you have to endure say, distance speed skating when all you're really interested in is pairs figure skating. Plus when there's stuff to watch on other channels, it just becomes a giant waste of time. Therefore I've taken my DVR-ing to an entire new level and I've taken to recording the entire primetime slot and only watching what I'm interested the day after. Yeah, watching recorded sports isn't that great but because of the time difference between the States and Italy we get everything late anyway.

One good thing though, is Olympic Ice, the daily figure skating wrap-up on USA. They replay a lot of the key performances and do interviews. Last night's Mary Carillo interview with Johnny Weir and his mother was hilarious. Jamie Salé and David Pelletier have been doing pairs coverage and while they're not the greatest commentators ever, I kind of like hearing them talk because Jamie has a ridiculously prominent Canadian accent and David's French-Canadian. =) (Yeah I have a thing for accents.)

I could probably talk figure skating for way too long, but here's who I'm rooting for:
Mens: Plushenko probably has it in the bag but I'd like Evan Lysacek and Jeffrey Buttle to do well. I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny Weir's skating but his personality is hilarious so hope he does well also.
Dance: Not too knowledgeable here but American Belbin & Agosto have been fun to watch.
Women: Sasha Cohen all the way. I know she's been known to choke and she comes off as bitchy but I love her skating. I also like Irina Slutskaya, who's been around probably as long as Michelle Kwan but oddly I don't hate her at all because she always looks like she's having fun.

1 comment:

mira said...

LONG PROGRAM TONIGHT!
YAY!!