Monday, June 13, 2005

weekend movies!

(Jenn) I was visiting Mira this weekend in Baltimore so this should be a joint post! (Mira, edit this post with your reviews if you want.)
(Mira) Editted!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith:

(Jenn) I actually wasn't planning on seeing this movie right away but since everyone else seemed so excited about it I figured that I should be excited too. I did think that it was a bit too long (a few too many plot twists) but I really enjoyed it while watching it. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are both incredibly hot, and had respectable chemistry (I'm not going to comment on their real-life drama). And Brad Pitt is definitely best playing funny characters. The action was pretty well done and there were lots of laughs. Adam Brody was basically playing a Seth-clone character and it kind of seemed out of place but Vince Vaughn was hilarious as usual. Afterwards I didn't feel terribly satisfied though. Call me prissy but I'm always slightly bothered by movies that take hitmen and thiefs and people like that so lightly. And the plot itself wasn't very tight. All the focus is on Brad and Angelina so I guess we're not supposed to care that we don't understand who Adam Brody's character is and why the heck nobody seems to ever get caught by any actual authorities with all the massive shoot-outs and car chases and explosions and stuff...
(Mira) I personally really enjoyed this movie. I mean Adam Brody seemed really out of place, but then again so did Vince Vaughn! But I enjoyed that they were so off-the-wall, too. Angelina Jolie is absolutely gorgeous, and of course, it goes without saying that Brad Pitt is an incredibly sexy man. But moreso than anything I appreciated that it wasn't just straight up action, which is what I was expecting. I liked the little interludes of the Smiths sitting with the counselor talking about their marriage. I liked how they portrayed the chemistry between the two. I enjoyed that they made the movie funny in showing the two working so hard to hide their secret identities from each other. And I really loved how kick ass both of them were -- especially Angelina... So often in action movies I get really annoyed with women because they just get in the way. But Angelina just kicks major butt, and makes me wish to be as cool as her. Hahaha.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants:
(Jenn) I was really excited to see this and I'm glad that I wasn't disappointed. It stayed pretty true to the book, which I reviewed earlier, with only one big change in Lena's story, in making it of a more classic Romeo-and-Juliet type thing, which I assume was done to make it less complicated. Her plotline seemed to take up the most time too...though the scenery in Greece was so breathtaking that I can understand why. Alexis Bledel was really quite good in the role...I was afraid that she would be too Rory-ish, but apparently you take out the Lorelai-like babbling and she's not so bad. In fact, I thought that all the characters were really well cast, right up to Carmen's super-super-blonde new stepsiblings. And I really loved that they shows the pants actually traveling and being delivered in the mail because I had been wondering that while reading the book! All in all probably the best heartfelt teen girl movie I've seen since the Princess Diaries!
(Mira) I agree fullheartedly with Jenn. This movie was absolutely fantastic! I don't understand why so many people were like, "Oh man, Mira, you want to see what???" cuz it was SO good! Very rarely do I come out of a movie wanting to actually buy the DVD, but coming out of this movie I REALLY cannot wait for it to come out on DVD. It was just one of those movies that can make you happy, make you cry, make you laugh. So good!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Laugh. Cry. Share the pants!