Tuesday, June 28, 2005

crash, a little late

I heard little whisperings of praise for Crash during the past few weeks and finally 2 weekends ago I got the chance to watch it. So, this is 2 weekends late. But anyway, I've gotta say the film totally lived up to its reputation.

It was powerful -- in the racial issues it attacked. There were characters representing so many different walks of life, so many different social classes, and of course the most obvious, so many different racial groups. It approached the many stereotypes that exist in society head-on.

It was interesting -- I love films that have many different storylines that tie together with a common theme. Other examples: Magnolia, Coût de la vie (French), Happenstance (French). The characters are loosely tied together and pass through each other's lives, yet the focus is on the invidual storylines more so than the connections. This can be done badly to the point of confusion and not enough development of individual characters, but in the case of Crash, it was done perfectly. At least in my opinion.

It was nailbiting -- I was seriously sitting on the edge of my seat (okay, actually I was sitting back in my seat cuz I was freezing cold) wondering what was going to happen next. I was enjoying every bit of the movie, but it sorta was getting to the point of 'Please, let no more bad stuff happen, please!'

Anyway, I liked it. You should watch it.

No comments: