Monday, June 06, 2005

jade empire

Okay, I'm not much of a gamer. In fact I'm definitely NOT a gamer. It took me forever of playing Halo 2 on Xbox to get the hang of the turning to change your perspective and walking forward, backward, sideways thing. Now I'm just starting to figure out the change the weapons to deal with different types of enemies. Oy!

Anyway, but I love RPG's. Cuz the pace of RPG's is manageable for the gaming-incompetent like me. Plus I love stories, and plotline, and character development. So when I read all the gushing reviews for Jade Empire, I was quite excited and jealous of all those who could play it being that I had neither the game nor an Xbox to play it on. Well, my wonderful friend Steve has gone on vacation for a month and lent me both so I got a chance to try it out. And well, frankly, I'm not really a big fan of it. First off, the characters are ugly looking. Okay not like ugly ugly, but they're not the super attractive types of the latest Final Fantasy's. They're more realistic looking, I suppose. Second, I just really like the graphics in Final Fantasy a lot better. They're prettier, sharper... Steve was explaining to me something about pre-programmed vs. real-time or something along those lines and how Jade Empire is cool because you control the perspective and stuff, but BAH! I just don't like it as much. Third, the fighting is different from typical RPG's in that it's more something. Hum, if I were a gamer I'd know the terms. But it's like you're fighting them in a fighting game-style. Which is pretty interesting and cool, but I suck at it. So I die a lot. Hahaha, man...

So, going back to how I started this entry. I'm not much of a gamer, so perhaps I don't understand the absolute awesomeness that is Jade Empire, but I think I will stick to my pretty Final Fantasy games. Ahh, and Chrono Cross; oh, how I want to play that one again...

No comments: