Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday Top Threes: formerly a hater

M: Building off of Jenn's question last week... Top three bands/artists that you started out hating but grew to like and appreciate!

Mira:
1. Lady Gaga: Between thinking the music video for "Just Dance" just looked like an orgy and thinking that "Poker Face" was the stupidest thing someone could be singing, I definitely started out hating Lady Gaga. But then I watched a youtube video of a girl playing "Bad Romance" on harp and decided -- musical genius. Now I begrudgingly admit that I like her songs, including "Poker Face" and "Just Dance." Sigh.
2. The Killers: So "Mr. Brightside" is one of my favorite songs and Hot Fuss is one of my favorite albums, but when "Somebody Told Me" first came on the radio, I *hated* it. I couldn't get over the fact that I had no idea what it meant: "Somebody told me / you had a boyfriend / who looked like a girlfriend / That I had in February of last year." Uh, what? So did his girlfriend look that manly, or did her boyfriend look that girly, or at the time I was trying to figure out if he was checking out a girl who likes girls... I was really confused.
3. Savage Garden: They are similar to The Killers in why I didn't like them originally. I knew them as the "chicka-cherry-cola" group. But then at some point trying to sing the lyrics of the song became a game for my best friend Amy and me. Why? Well, you try to sing it... ("I Want You" is the name of the song.)

Jennifer:
1. Green Day: I didn't listen to much music at all until late high school so this possibly doesn't count but I remember being really down on Green Day during the 6th grade. I was on the "Science Squad" (yes this is as dorky as it sounds) and two of the guys wanted to name our goldfish "Dookie" and I was like, "Absolutely not!!" Of course now I would probably name Dookie as my favorite Green Day album...
2. Snow Patrol: I think it was the association with Grey's Anatomy that made me initially hate this band. But once I got over that, I realized they make pretty good music.
3. Bright Eyes: At first I just didn't "get" them. Their sound is kind of folky, which I wasn't into at the time and Conor Oberst has this shaky and emotionally bare voice that I didn't understand the appeal of. But after a couple of years, my musical tastes sort of evolved and now I'm a big fan.

2 comments:

sbshortcakex3 said...

1. Sara Bareilles: For some reason, when the music video for "Love Song" first came out, it annoyed me to no end. It might have been the fact that it seemed to be showing every time I turned on the television, or that the song was played ad nauseam on the radio, but I started to really dislike her and the song. One night, I was on youtube and I found a fanmade harry potter music video to her song "Gravity" and fell in love.

2. Coldplay: Until responding to this topic, it didn't occur to me just how much of an effect a new artist's music video has on me. Just like with Sara Bareilles, it was Coldplay's music video for "Yellow" that really turned me off. The whole video Chris Martin walks in slow motion on the beach on a really depressingly cloudy day. I didn't like the way he looked while he was singing and every time I heard the song, I could only picture his face. Not really sure when I switched from dislike to like, but I'm glad I gave them a second chance.

3. I couldn't think of a third one.

burkie said...

hate is too strong a word for this. let's say "acquired taste."

1. bob dylan. i know, you'd think i'd love dylan, but it really took me a while to warm up to him.

2. tom waits. i don't think anyone really likes tom waits at first, not if they're completely honest with themselves :)

3. i'm kinda at a loss here, too.