Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Veronica Mars returns!

You know, I have to admit that my love for Veronica Mars has dwindled a bit since the first season, but it's still one of my must-see shows and I was super excited to see it back last night and I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint. I felt like it was one of the more tight episodes in a long time and I loved nearly every minute of it. I think the reason for that was that the mystery-of-the-week was closely woven with Mac's storyline. I think the show suffers a little from the mysteries that are brought in by random people and that have only Veronica talking to other random people. I know it's impractical to have one of the main cast looped into every mini-mystery, but it really makes a huge difference, especially when it's some we really love and care about, like Mac.

Anyway, there were so many good moments in this episode. I'm loving Parker more and more, and Mac's whole storyline with Bronson was super cute. (Of course I thought she and Beaver were super cute too and we know where that went...) I like that they didn't forget that she would be nervous about liking another guy. I don't know if he's going to stick around but I liked him.

And you know, this was also the first episode where I really started to feel for Piz. I mean, I never hated him at all but I didn't feel too much sympathy towards him about his crush on Veronica. But now I get it, and a tiny bit of me is rooting for him. Especially since we all know that Veronica and Logan will probably never really be over. That kiss and Logan kicking the door shut was HOT though. Too bad this reunion seems like it's going to be short-lived. It's weird, I really think that they're meant for eachother but they're really a lot better at being angsty than being cute and happy.

Also loved the scene with Keith and Landry. Poor Keith thought he was being all smooth and then Landry calls him on it. Don't know where this who-killed-the-Dean thing is going but I think it's supposed to be wrapped up in 6 episodes, and rumor has it that it's not going to be one of those Veronica-in-mortal-danger things, which I'm glad to hear. That was getting a bit much.

Anyway, after this mystery is over, there will be 5 stand-alone episodes to finish up the season. I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. I understand that season-long arcs are hard for both the writers and the viewers as things pretty much have to be really convoluted in order to stretch out that long but I don't like the idea of having no overarching mystery at all. Rob Thomas has said that this will really just be a trial, but that they have considered going to that format permanently if the show is renewed for a fourth season. I guess I shouldn't make any judgments now, but the prospect definitely has me a little worried. Rob says that this format would make the show more accessible to casual viewers, but Veronica Mars is a cult show. Cult shows don't attract casual viewers. And I feel like changing the format isn't going to attract new viewers, it's going to turn off some loyal ones.

If you have some free time, there's a very long but interesting interview with Rob Thomas up on TWOP.

No comments: