Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Top Chef - nearing the end

I just realized that I forgot to post on last week's Top Chef. I think that part of it has to do with the fact that the episode was just kind of a disaster in general and there are so few people left that I actually like. At this point for me, it's Elia or bust. I guess Sam is still a possibility, because despite his decidedly unprofessional outburst at the restaurant supply store a few episodes ago and his phenomenally ill-conceived watermelon gnocchi dessert this week, he has still been consistently winning Quickfires. Ilan has been slipping, and his immaturity is really showing now. As for Marcel, no, he's not as bad as all that, but being a Top Chef also means being a leader and having the ability to command respect from colleagues and employees and at this point I just can't see that happening. The same kind of goes for Cliff, he needs to lose the attitude before he can be a real Top Chef. This is where Top Chef differs from Project Runway: whereas having leadership qualities is definitely a factor on PR, here it's crucial.

The Quickfire was pretty much a non-issue for me, as soon as the product placement started I kind of zoned out. The Elimination was a repeat from last year, but I was totally okay with that. Lee Anne mentions in her blog that when she asked the chefs whether they'd seen this episode from last season they all said no, and that really surprised me. If they had, they'd know that while front-of-the-house doesn't necessarily have to be a chef's domain, it was a deciding factor last year. That said, the service was only part of the problem this year. I thought both concepts were fine, but I feel like neither was as well thought out as it should have been. And the food, well, I probably couldn't have picked a winner either. Undercooked chicken wings? Olive pits on the table? "Best burger ever" that's not really? No wine with Italian food? Oreos and lemon? Watermelon and cheese?

New episode tonight, look for my report this weekend.

No comments: