Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Apprentice: Los Angeles

God only knows why I'm still interested in this show. I watched last season, partly because I just thought that Lee and Lenny were hilarious and seeing all those Type-A personalities being forced to work together on ridiculous tasks does still have some entertainment value, but it's getting more than tired.

Which is why, I suppose, that they decided to shake things up this season. First, it's LA and not New York. This is weird because I've always thought of Donald Trump as being solidly New York, but other than that I don't really see what difference it makes.

The second is that Carolyn and George are out and Ivanka is in. I liked Carolyn and George, but Ivanka is awesome. She's probably younger than half of the apprentices but she definitely holds her own and is really poised and super smart. Rosie O'Donnell can go on and on about how Trump shouldn't be the moral compass for America's youth, but he certainly did something right raising his daughter. Also, Ivanka gets to be the "eyes and ears" for both teams. I think this works out well, because she gets to see both teams' performance and make better judgments.

The third is that the winning project manager gets to sit in the boardroom on Trump's other side. This I find to be bizarre. How is the winning project manager supposed to know any specifics about the losing team's performance? He or she should have been busy winning the task. Plus, there's that whole strategy thing of wanting to keep the weaker apprentices, which there's no way Donald or Ivanka will go for anyway. Eh.

And the last is the much talked about Tent City. The winning team gets to live in the mansion and the losing teams has to live in tents. It's not entirely "roughing it," and at least it's not cold in LA. It's a pretty funny idea, but we'll have to see if it plays any real role in the game.

Otherwise, the first episode was pretty status quo. A stupid task, a lot of confusion, the revealing of all the annoying characters. I personally wanted both Martin and Frank to go. Martin just didn't belong there, and Frank was just talking entirely too much. Anyway, as this is on Sundays and I don't have anything else in that timeslot, I'll probably watch a couple of more episodes but we'll have to see if it holds my attention...

No comments: