Tuesday, January 24, 2006

WHAT???

The craziest news I've heard in years:

THE WB AND UPN ARE GOING TO MERGE.

Both UPN and the WB will disappear this fall and the new network is going to be called CW? It's not entirely clear what the merger really means, but articles have mentioned that Smallville, Veronica Mars, and America's Top Model are all safe and will air next fall. Gilmore Girls hasn't been renewed yet but if it is I assume it's safe as well.

Wow, how completely bizarre and out of left field. I mean, I suppose it kind of makes sense, since both networks have been struggling since their inception and maybe now they'll be more able to compete with the other networks, but it's just sad to think that neither will exist anymore, especially the WB. When I think about high school, one of the first things that comes to mind is how much I loved the WB and watched pretty much everything that ever aired on that network. Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Roswell, Felicity, Gilmore Girls, Jack & Jill, Smallville, even 7th Heaven and Charmed and the rare stuff like Grosse Pointe and Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane...I'm sure Mira will agree that we were both WB junkies of the most serious kind. Admittedly my love for the WB has dwindled a lot and the only shows I've been watching are Gilmore Girls (which isn't as great as it used to be) and Beauty and the Geek, but it's still sad.

Aw, remember those music videos that they used to make for commercials with stars from all the different shows? I downloaded a couple of them awhile back and they made me all nostalgic. Ahhh the WB. *sniff*

2 comments:

mira said...

but on the other hand some of our original wb's did end up on upn... roswell... buffy... so perhaps this merger can get rid of the mediocre shows and concentrate on what could be really good. i mean related? that stupid law show that may or may not have existed? so yeah! could mean good stuff!

Jennifer said...

Hahaha I've actually watched Related a few times and it's not as horrible as some of the other stuff I've seen. And I don't like lawyer shows but I thought Just Legal had potential. The WB has a lot of crappy comedies though, and everything on UPN is kind of hit or miss. I'm wondering what the new network is going to focus on though. The WB has mostly done teen dramas whereas UPN has always been wrestling and shows with African-American casts. It definitely could be good but it's a big change and who knows?