Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SYTYCD: top 20 x2!

I got lucky this year. Top 20 is always that week where I'm left wondering where certain dancers came from. I watch all the audition episodes and try to make note of all my favorites but there are always a good number of dancers who make it into the Top 20 who are complete mysteries to me. Fortunately this year not only did they keep the "Meet the Top 20" without elimination episode (which was a GREAT addition in the last few seasons!) but after the first elimination week, the judges decided not to eliminate anyone! Doubly fortunate, too, because I was unable to watch episodes immediately, like I have in previous seasons, and so I am a little behind in my blogging about only my favorite competition show ever -- So You Think You Can Dance!

The couples:
Ryan & Ricky: She was already been touted to become a favorite but she really has been one of my favorites. Their Christopher Scott number in week 1 was fantastic! Their week 2 Mandy Moore number was powerful, but not something I would remember. They have a great, silly off-stage partnership, though. Reminds you of how the dancers on SYTYCD become such a family!
Caitlynn & Mitchell: She was good but I wasn't sure if I would remember her based on her dance week 1. And... I really didn't remember her from week 1. I definitely will remember her after week 2! It's also good that we got a chance to see the two dance together since Mitchell was injured week 1. In any case, Stacey Tookey is absolutely my favorite choreographer on this show now, and this was a fantastic example of why! I thought Caitlynn was amazing in this piece!
Missy & Wadi: Darn, I was expecting Sonya to choreograph to Judas sometime this season. Instead it was African Jazz. I don't like Missy that much but I wanna see more of Wadi! I think one of the reasons I'm having trouble warming to Missy is because she worked so hard at selling herself as a "sexy" dancer (her and Jordan both)... In any case, their week 2 cha-cha was... meh. The non-ballroom female dancers doing Latin is just not exciting for me because there's something so stiff about them. I still really like Wadi, though!
Yvetta & Nick: Nick is my favorite to look at this season. I think Yvetta is a dark horse, and I'm definitely rooting on her. I love how frenetic Bollywood is and I really enjoyed their week 2 dance. And Nick is too cute. :)
Miranda & Robert: I think these two talking will annoy me. Week 1 Jive -- I think that all jives fall short of Anya's. The concept of the NappyTabs routine reminds me of Hok & Jamie's hummingbird dance (Wade Robson choreographed, I think). Fortunately the routine was not too literally the concept. I thought that this was a fun routine and was impressed by both. NappyTabs routines without the lyrical hiphop sap stories are soooo much better. :)
Clarice & Jess: As of week 1 I was not sold on them yet. But week 2, they get Stacey Tookey (not only do I love her and her choreography, I loooove her song choices!)... I think this dance would've been better with a stronger and bigger male partner. Her legs were as long as he is tall! I don't think I could buy him as the "prince"; too little!
Jordan & Tadd- I was already a fan of Tadd and really enjoyed his 8 second intro. Such a cutie! Jordan is the other half of the "sexy" girls, so bleh. Haha. I like how Tadd ratted her out for being not-so-smart, cuz she looks kinda airheaded a lot of the time. Anyway, the Viennese waltz was really pretty. (Haha, another "Vietnamese Waltz.")
Melanie & Marco: Really awesome concept by Travis in week 1. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with their week 2 dance. I don't know if it was because sometimes they were not fully in sync or I did not like the choreography... In any case, overall I'm undecided about Melanie but I think she's a great dancer. Marco, I adore!! I also think that they are another great off-stage pair.
Sasha & Alexander: Alexander is a lil creepy. Sasha got a lot of airtime in the audition and Vegas rounds and I'm glad to see that I like her more and more! Alexander's interesting fact (looking at self in mirror) was totally not surprising. I feel like I could have predicted that NappyTabs would choreograph to "I'm Coming Home." Haha. I thought Sasha was fantastic, Alexander not so much. Just something so stiff and awkward for me. If he's safe after this week it's because SHE carried that performance.
Ashley & Chris: For week 1, I thought it was okay. I liked the song choice and it was fun but I thought Chris was way better. I don't much like Ashley... She smiles like a horse. In any case, the Broadway number was okay as far as Broadway numbers go.

My bottom 4:
- Missy
- Jess
- Alexander
- Ashley

The bottom 6 SUCKED. :( I would never have put two of those couples in the bottom three couples.
Actual 4 sent home:
- Wadi :(
- Missy
- Nick :( :( :(
- Yvetta :( :(

Saved:
- Ryan
- Ricky

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

While in theory I liked getting to see the Top 20 twice over, they really should have sent some people home week 1 because the week 2 bottom 3 SUCKED! I was so mad that Nick and Iveta were there and both got kicked off. I wanted to see more of Wadi too. I can do without Robert, Jess, Clarice, or Jordan...all of who were in the bottom week 1! I'm not really a Ryan fan...she needs to step it up big time in my opinion. My early favorites: Tadd, Melanie, Marko, and Sasha.