Tuesday, August 14, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance picks its Top 4

Silly NFL preseason football pushed last week's results show to last night, which meant we had to wait extra long for the results but on the bright side, there are 3 nights of SYTYCD this week, with the winner being revealed on Thursday!

Two things I noticed from last week's performances:
1. My DVR messed up in recording the show, so I watched the routines online without the judges' comments, which really allowed me to form my own opinions. Usually hearing the judges' comments forces me to sort of re-evaluate my own and sometimes defer to their expertise, but this time I was flying blind. The two routines that I really loved were Lacey and Pasha's hip hop and Sabra and Neil's jazz. I thought they were both choreographed really well and were more interesting than the usual sexy romance passion stuff that we seem to get so often. I was not a fan of Lauren and Danny's contemporary, which I thought was just a lot of running around. I think I'm getting a bit tired of Mia Michaels. Everything else didn't really stand out. Hearing the judges' comments replayed last night was interesting...they seemed to have liked everyone in everything.
2. The music sometimes plays a big part in whether I enjoy something or not. I LOVE the Junior Boys song in Lacey and Pasha's hip-hop routine, whereas I despise Celine Dion, which probably contributed to my dislike of the Lauren/Danny contemporary.

Anyway, I wasn't too enamored with any of the solos. I know, I know, this is a solo competition but I don't know how much I really enjoy any of them as soloists. I feel like dance is much more fun with partner and group routines.

Although last night's group routine? I totally fast-forwarded through it. Was that Wade Robson? What is up with him and the zombie-ish things?

I did really like the krumping. The watered down versions that we've seen the dancers do really doesn't compare, and I hope next season they challenge the dancers to do some real krumping. When done well it's pretty mesmerizing.

So our top 4 is kind of not that surprising. I couldn't see Lacey or Sabra being sent home, so Lauren was bound to go. The guys were a bit more tricky...I'm a huge Pasha fan and was definitely sad about his exit. Ironically I thought his solo last night was the best on the show so far and he's a ballroom dancer to whom solos don't come easy. I wonder if it would have helped had he danced that solo last week. Maybe not.

I know a lot of people probably would have rather seen Pasha in the finale than Neil, but I don't know, I kind of like Neil. And honestly I don't know that either of them really have a shot at winning. Somehow I see it coming down to the girls this year. There have been two male winners so far, and I think it's time. Personally I'm rooting for Sabra, who I think has been the most consistently entertaining, and who just shows so much joy while dancing. But we'll have to see how the final performance show goes this week...

No comments: