Monday, April 02, 2007

The Namesake

I read this book (by Jhumpa Lahiri) a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. For me, the true sign of a book that I really really love is when I wish I could write something like it, and that was exactly the case with this book. So when I heard that they were making a movie of it, and that Mira Nair (of Monsoon Wedding) was directing, I was super excited. Then I heard that Kal Penn was starring in it, and strangely enough, that made me even more excited. I know, I know, Kumar in a serious movie? But truthfully this could be a brilliant move for his career. He is probably the most recognizable South Asian actor in America today, and playing a role that's close to his heart...it's like Vince Chase doing Queens Boulevard! (Entourage reference for those who have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Anyway, Kal Penn is actually really good here. The film spans about 30 years, so he still gets to exercise his comic chops while playing Gogol as a disaffected teenager while showing us a little-seen dramatic side as an adult and in scenes with his family. But two Bollywood actors play Gogol's parents and they're the real stars of this movie. I'm not sure why ads are toting this as an "epic love story" because for me, both the book and the film are about the immigrant experience, and ultimately, family. There were quite a few Indian/South Asian families in the theater when I went to see it, and it was obvious that they were really feeling it, and really appreciating that there's a mainstream American movie about their experience. I heard one man in the row behind me say "That's what I went through!" during the scene where the newly married Gangulis settle into their apartment in the US. It made me think about my own parents and how it must have been for them, moving to a new and unfamiliar country thousands of miles from home, and raising children that are in some ways, strangers. It made me want to call my parents and tell them that I loved them. And of course, as a first generation American, I saw a lot of myself in Gogol and Sonia as well.

The movie followed the book very closely, so obviously I knew what was going to happen but the ending made me cry anyway, and I was still sniffling for a good 15 minutes after it was over. (And then I went home and re-read the book.) This isn't really a plot-driven movie, but I thought that things really did come full circle by the end. It takes place in both New York and India, and both are shot beautifully. (It also kind of made me want to go see the Taj Mahal.)

Go see this movie!

On a related note: It was recently announced that Kal Penn will be teaching two courses at the University of Pennsylvania next spring: "Images of Asian Americans in the Media" and "Contemporary American Teen Films." This is just...weird. I'm going to Penn for my master's degree and I don't really get what this means. Are these going to be regular, weekly courses? Or seminars? I was at Cornell for undergrad and we had a few actors as "professors-at-large" who gave lectures now and again but none of them taught actual courses. Although it would be funny if I like, saw Kal Penn around campus or something. And if I were an undergrad, a course about teen movies?? I would SO be there.

1 comment:

JackPo said...

dude, you should so take his course even if it doesn't contribute towards your masters...

How much work can Kumar possibly give?! you can always hand off the work to an asian anyway... wait.. no...