Thursday, April 12, 2007

Friday Night Lights better get renewed

Some of my past and present unpopular opinions include:
1. I hate Grey's Anatomy.
2. I like Cally on Battlestar Galactica.
3. I've never thought Family Guy, the Simpsons, or South Park were particularly funny.
4. I don't like sketch comedy.

And now I can add to that list...

5. I was sort of disappointed in last night's Friday Night Lights season finale.

Don't get me wrong, it had a ton of really amazing moments, and seriously, I think the Panthers are like the only sports team that I've EVER rooted for, but somehow the episode just seemed weirdly anti-climactic to me. I didn't really like that they started off the game so badly and then ended up winning. It did allow for the Coach to give that really awesome locker room speech at half-time, but to me, it just seemed so contrived, especially because I knew, I KNEW, that they were going end up winning. And watching the last play for me for one of the rare instances where I was intensely aware that this was just a TV show and that this was just acting. It just wasn't impressive to me, because they WROTE it that way. I know I'm being ridiculous, but for some reason I just got taken out of it all.

I mean, now that I think about it, the game was really the only deflating part of the episode for me. Everything else was wonderful. I absolutely loved the scenes when the team first arrives at the stadium, especially when they see their names in the locker room. Pure joy! And although I'm not a fan of the unexpected pregnancy storylines, Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler really acted the hell out of those scenes. They are like my official model for the perfect marriage. Jason's showing signs that he'll make a really good coach someday, and it doesn't feel forced at all. I loved that they remembered to have his parents at the game...this was supposed to be his championship, and in the end, it kind of was. Of course, Landry brings the laughs, how funny was it that he ended up driving FIVE women to Dallas?? I know I always rag on Lyla, but the scene where she and Tyra finally had it out was perfect and a long time coming. Also, even though Matt and Julie are my favorite new couple this season, I'm glad that they haven't been in the forefront these past couple of episodes. Their scenes were minimal and perfect. And speaking of Matt...he's really grown up. I feel an almost maternal pride towards him (which is totally ridiculous because Zach Gilford is older than me). And man, I LOVE MAMA SMASH. She steals every scene she's in. Man, I'm still missing a ton of stuff, it's amazing how they pack so much into every episode without making it feel rushed or crowded.

But the game...the game was the centerpiece of the whole episode and it just didn't pack as much emotional wallup for me as the game in the pilot or in the Mud Bowl episode...

So the season ends on a sort of cliffhanger, in more ways than one. The show isn't definitely renewed for next season, although things are looking hopeful, and there was no real decision on whether the Taylors, all or some of them, would be staying in Dillon. But it's not one of those rip-your-hair out cliffhangers, and in the horrible case that the show doesn't get renewed, at least we got to experience this one almost transcendent season. I'll be first in line to buy the DVD set.

I haven't mentioned the music on this show before, but it's definitely an integral part of the show. Explosions in the Sky is the instrumental group (from Texas to boot) that provides the theme music and other bits of score throughout the series. (They also did the movie's soundtrack). I'm not sure it's music I'd really listen to on its own, especially now that I will forever associate their sound with the show, but it's good stuff.

No comments: