Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Gilmore Girls - LL is back!

So remember last week how I was complaining about Rory easily getting everything she wants and it not being interesting? Well, thank goodness, she didn't get the New York Times fellowship! I mean, obviously it sucks because she gave up the Providence job to wait it out for this, but it's just refreshing to see that for once, she has to face some rejection. Welcome to the real world, Rory.

In fact, I thought that all of the graduation anxiety stuff in this episode was handled really well. Even Paris' dilemmas were realistic. I know, it's kind of preposterous that she would get into THAT many schools, but this is manic, uber-prepared Paris. And most people I know applied to a ton of grad schools, expecting that some of the decisions would be put out of their hands. But on the off chance that they do get into more than one of their top choices...the decision becomes pretty difficult. And I also know a lot of people who have had to weigh their relationships when making their decisions also. I have to say that it's extremely realistic for high-achieving kids like Paris and Rory to put their careers ahead of their relationships.

Although of course, since this is TV, we had Doyle not accepting Paris breaking up with him and saying that he would follow Paris anywhere (which is a little scary, honestly), leading to a neat resolution of their little subplot in this episode, but overall I really appreciated how realistically they portrayed this. And of course, it doesn't hurt that Paris is AWESOME! (On a side note, if there's an eighth season and Paris is not in it, which would only make sense, that will SUCK!)

It looks like it'll be Rory and Logan's turn to figure out their post-graduation plans next. You know, I used to be a huge Logan fan back when he first appeared on the show, but lately I've been finding that I enjoy episodes more when he's not in them. I definitely like Rory a lot more when he's not around. I was pretty relieved to see that we were getting a break from them this week.

The Luke and Lorelai stuff was good. Lorelai's a pretty ridiculous person in general,so the car buying stuff was really trying my nerves, but I did love when they started fighting and Lorelai started smiling, realizing that things were getting back to normal. And Luke going to all those extra lengths to "revive" Lorelai's old Jeep was a nice touch at the end. They are SO getting back together.

No comments: