Thursday, April 29, 2010

T^2: Theme Song!

M: Favorite theme song for a tv show? Favorite song from a movie?

Mira:
I pose the question and then I stump myself. Then I thought about it for a few minutes and realized -- EASY! My favorite tv show theme song is hands down the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." (Link isn't quite the original.) It makes me sad that there are so rarely (if at all?) theme songs made for shows today. But how awesome was this song? Now here's the story all about how, my life got flipped-turned upside down... (Apparently this was my favorite in 2005, too. Read below.)

For movie songs, this is where I think mostly about how a song ties in with the scene of a movie. There are two songs that every time I hear them I flash back to that exact scene in a movie -- "Don't You Forget About Me," from Breakfast Club and "Like a Prayer" from Never Been Kissed. I'd also like to give an honorable mention to Dragonheart and its closing theme. I've never seen the movie but it's a fantastic score! Fantastic!

Jennifer: I actually wrote a post about this back in 2005. Unfortunately theme songs and even opening credits in general have been on the downslide since then so I don't have too much to add. I was really fond of the theme song from Wonderfalls, though, "I Wonder Why the Wonderfalls."

As for song from a movie, I really love the Gary Jules version of "Mad World" from Donnie Darko (which Adam Lambert covered on last year's American Idol) and "Falling Slowly" from Once (which Kris Allen covered...man, American Idol was SO much better last year). I also really like the theme from Requiem for a Dream (which seems to have become popular with male figure skaters trying to be "masculine") and "Clubbed to Death" from The Matrix. And of course there's always "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"....

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was really into score music for awhile, so I love the Dragonheart theme too! I rather liked the movie too, you should watch it!

K said...

I like the opening score of Friday Night Lights.

burkie said...

best tv theme song of all time is from "Hawaii Five-0." it was better than the actual show. the "Fresh Prince..." is right up there, though! and for contemporary shows, i like the one for the holly hunter show "Saving Grace."

so many great movie songs..."Don't You Forget About Me" is a great pick but, at the risk of giving the same answer too many times, i'm going to say "The Parting Glass," which plays during the last scene & closing credits of "Waking Ned Devine." yet another reason to watch it, jenn :)

Fanny said...

It's a tie between "Magic School Bus" and "Captain Planet"; I still get excited whenever I hear either one.