Sunday, February 21, 2010

a song... or three.

So my musical tastes are very... mainstream. Well sort of. Mostly. But I go through phases with music I like to listen to. But right now, my current phase has me listening to a lot of American Top 100 pop music. I like to pretend that my musical tastes are way more sophisticated but really the bottom line is that they're not. Here are three songs that I hear on the radio *all the time* and that I seem to have very strong opinions about.

"Sexy Bitch" (radio version: "Sexy Chick") by David Guetta featuring Akon: I hate, hate, hate this song. I have no idea who this David Guetta dude is, by the way. But there are two reasons I really hate this song. First: the radio version totally cleans it up to "who's a sexy chitch," not "chick." Second: it gets stuck in my head for hours on end (especially because of the repetitiveness of "who's a sexy bitch") and drives me nuts. So needless to say, it's stupid, but I really cannot stand this song. And "chitch," what is UP with that?!?!

"Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga: Anyone who knows me knows that I extremely unreasonably hate Lady Gaga. It's bothered me for some time because, well, I can't come up with a reason why I just hate her so much. It's not like her pop music is all that much better/worse than other dance-y pop music. But I hated "Poker Face," didn't like "Just Dance," haaaaated "Love Game" (um, hello, "I want to take a ride on your disco stick"?!), and wanted to hate "Paparazzi." Well, going on that track, I was inclined to hate "Bad Romance" as well. Somehow that didn't happen. I don't particularly like listening to "Bad Romance," but I begrudgingly was made to acknowledge the musicality of what Lady Gaga. Additionally, there's something kinda cool about her referencing Alfred Hitchcock in her verses, too. But really, this youtube clip is what made me realize that there is possibly more substance to her music (as least this time) than just crazy theatrics and singing weird lyrics.

"Party in the U.S.A." by Miley Cyrus: I will never cease to be a teenybopper. I loved Britney, I loved Backstreet Boys, I liked 'N Sync, and... I like Miley Cyrus. I don't know why. And I can't even defend this musical like, but I really enjoy "Party in the U.S.A." It's sad, huh? I think it is. But it makes me happy.

So obviously I have no musical high ground to hate/love certain artists/songs to stand on, but... These are just my random, recent musical observations. :) I may be exiting my pop station phase soon, though. "Sexy Chick" is getting way too much airtime.

4 comments:

burkie said...

i like that you're a teenybopper and that you like miley cyrus. it just seems right. i, on the other hand, have become a grumpy old man and i've never heard any of those songs. in fact, i've never heard a song by any of those artists. i don't listen to the radio much anymore, and the only new music i get exposed to is non-radio friendly "Americana" (folky, non-mainstream country). i tend to go in phases when it comes to the radio too, though, so maybe i'll get back in touch with popular music one of these days...

Jennifer said...

I don't listen to music on the radio either because I'm an indie music snob so I don't know the first song you mentioned and I'm pretty sure I don't want to. Lady Gaga scares me but I don't really have an opinion on her music either way. Party in the USA is really catchy though...

Fanny said...

I agree! "Sexy Chick" is the worst. David Guetta is some producer/DJ, so really it's just Akon doing the same stuff he always does. I don't really like Lady Gaga, but I have to admit, some of her songs are pretty catchy. As for Miley Cyrus, I really don't like her. Her voice just kills me, which was partly the reason why I was so upset when I actually started to like "Party in the U.S.A". It made me feel a little bit better when I learned she had no part in writing the song. I thought, "ok, it's just ONE song. I can deal." But now, I kind of like that other song she has out, "When I Look At You" too. People gotta stop giving her songs that I like.

JJubela said...

It would be very helpful if you had a contact email address posted somewhere on your blog so that people can contact you with tips and exclusives.