Thursday, March 16, 2006

Top Chef

Due to the bombardment of ads for this show during episodes of Project Runway, I decided to check this show out, and surprise surprise, I like it. Obviously I'm a sucker for reality TV, but this one was even more natural for me to pick up because it's about cooking. I love Food Network and anything to do with food, and this has the same format as Project Runway, which I think is really excellent. It doesn't really lend itself as well to television as Project Runway though, because the viewing audience really had no idea what the food TASTES like so it's hard to judge for ourselves. It does make you really really hungry though.

Anyway, this isn't going to be a full review, just a rundown of some random things I notice/found out about the show:

- Last week Miguel's "Duo of Beef" kind of made me laugh because last week my group at work went out to lunch at Fox and Hound and one of my coworkers ordered the "Two Meat Combo." Haha, Miguel's dish looked and probably tasted better, but yeah, I'm strange.

- Stephen has a degree from Cornell (hotel school I'm assuming) and was probably there around the same time as me. He carries a Manhattan Portage messenger bag, which I find pretty hilarious.

- Cynthia (the crazy one) has been a personal chef for Jay-Z and Beyonce.

- I always wondered how one becomes a food critic. Gail Simmons, one of the judges, works for Food & Wine magazine and apparently has a combination of culinary training with event coordinating experience. My second irrational dream job after working for TVGuide, definitely being a food critic.

No comments: