Friday, March 10, 2006

Reality TV recap

This week brought the finales of two reality shows that I've been watching. My thoughts:

Project Runway:
Was happy to see Chloe win because she's been one of my favorites all along but truthfully I thought that all three collections were kind of lackluster, especially compared to the first season (I didn't watch but I saw a rerun of the finale a few weeks ago). Jay's collection last year was so fresh and different. This year everything seemed a little too...ordinary. I thought a lot of Chloe's fabrics were a little too shiny and stiff. Daniel had a few great pieces but I didn't see the whole military/Asian influences at all. And Santino? If his pieces had fit better and someone else had designed them, I think the response would have been a lot better. But it's true, Chloe's construction and attention to detail was definitely the best. Daniel's still young and he's got a great future regardless, and Santino? Luckily his collection wasn't too hot because I think it would have been a fiasco if he won. I wanted him out WEEKS ago.

Beauty and the Geek 2:
I'm not entirely sure why I continued to watch this show, but anyway, I was a little disappointed with the result...again. Last season I hated both of the geeks in the final two but liked both beauties. This time around, I was rooting for Joe and Brittany to win (even though Joe can be a little creepy) because I kind of hated Cher. Then again, Josh was definitely deserving. I think the problem with Cher is that it doesn't seem like she's ever doubted her intelligence. Yeah, she fits in with the beauties in that she relies on her looks a lot, but I think that was more out of laziness whereas it seemed like the other girls did it more because they've never felt smart. I don't know, I still think the show has an interesting concept but the elimination round stuff is lame. Josh getting the question of who Cher would have wanted as his partner was such a huge giveaway...had they gotten a harder question they would have lost.

Oh, well. Supposedly they're going to reverse the roles for the next season: brainy, socially awkward girls and hot but not-so-smart guys. That would definitely be interesting...

No comments: