Wednesday, March 29, 2006

American Idol take 5

I've been a little slow getting into American Idol this season. It was just on too often at the beginning and I couldn't keep up, but now that we're into the Top 10 I'm going to try to start watching weekly from now on. I do have to say that last night was pretty underwhelming in general though. I thought songs from the 21st century would bring out some good songs but instead there was all this stuff I didn't recognize. I guess my music tastes aren't exactly mainstream and I definitely don't know country, but I thought there were some odd choices last night. People have been telling me that this season is really good but last night I didn't really get that impression. Let's hope upcoming weeks are better?

The rundown:

Lisa - Thought it was pretty bad. I don't really like "Because of You" (even I think Kelly Clarkson is pretty awesome in general) and she didn't make it any better. Some of her performance was pretty horribly off-key.

Kellie - Not too much into country, but I thought it was alright. I remember her from the early audition shows and she's kind of just...too much.

Ace - Sucked. I'll admit to actually liking this song ("Drops of Jupiter") back in the day, he just sounded whiny and annoying and really, he's not hot.

Taylor - I guess I just don't get it. I'd never heard of the song and I'm not sure what his style is and I'm so confused I can't tell if his vocals are good or not. And dude looks like he could pass for like 40.

Mandisa - Another song I'd never heard before, but she's got a spunk, great voice, and a great stage presence. She was kind of shouting a bit by the end though.

Chris - I caught his performance of Fuel a couple of weeks ago which I thought was pretty awesome. This week, though, of all songs, he chooses CREED? That just about ruins all rock cred he ever claimed to have. I'm still willing to give him a chance though.

Katherine - I suppose she's good but I hate Christina Aguilera and her performance was just boring to me so I fast forwarded through most of it. Not sure why all the judges seemed to like it...

Bucky - More country. Thought he was being drowned out by the arrangement but otherwise he was alright I suppose. But um, we don't need another country American Idol.

Paris - Yet another eh song choice. She also has a great voice and stage presence though and her Beyonce moves were kind of funny.

Elliott - Is this guy the dark horse or something? I haven't heard a single thing about him all season but I liked him a lot.

1 comment:

mira said...

I LOVE CHRIS! hahaha.
the rest kinda sucked last night.
and yeah the last guy is the "jewish guy" as my friend and I refer to him. but yeah, still I'm a Chris fan all the way. :-)