Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Fall 2005 Season Premiere Wrap-Up Part II

Okay yes, I forgot to do the Friday top 5 last week, so I'll do two lists this week to make up for it. Plus I have a few other posts lined up, so stay tuned!

Just Legal: Only caught bits and pieces of this, but I kind of liked it. It’s a fun idea, a kid lawyer who has no experience joins forces with an older, down-and-out, and jaded lawyer. I’m not really into legal shows either (not since the Practice went down) but this definitely has potential.

My Name is Earl: Surprisingly I liked this a lot. I've always liked Jason Lee and I was surprised to see that he'd decided to do television, but he's excellent in this. It's really quirky and just different from any other sitcom on TV. The networks seem to have abandoned the whole hipster-in-the-city concept and I'm pretty glad about that because I was never into Friends and Will&Grace and all of that Must See TV stuff. I don't know if rednecks would be offended by this show or not, but it's actually relatively good-hearted at the core. It also sets up a nice formula for each episode (Earl crossing something off of his list) but allows plenty of room for anything crazy they want to throw in.

The Office: I love this show because the people on it are so ordinary and unglamorous. Of course everything is definitely exaggerated, and Steve Carrell is just crazy and hilarious. but now that I'm in the working world I seem to relate to this kind of stuff now. I still have yet to watch the original BBC version though(mostly because I couldn't concentrate enough to understand their accents).

The Apprentice Martha Stewart: In high school I jokingly said that I wanted to be Martha Stewart when I grew up, but that doesn’t mean I’d ever apply for this show. I like what her company is about: cooking, crafts, decorating, etc., but I really would not want to build a multimillion dollar corporation. Regardless, I was really curious to see how the candidates and tasks would differ from the Trump version, and I was kind of impressed. The children’s book thing was very Martha Stewart and a really good idea. Haha, I also love how she fired Jeff by saying “you just don’t fit in” and he was obviously expecting to be told “you’re fired” and looked confused. And she wrote him a personal note afterward! So completely Martha Stewart. I was a little turned off by her whole prison thing but man, you have to admit that she has a very very distinctive persona and was really the perfect person to head another Apprentice.

Lost: I watched the first episode since Veronica Mars hadn’t premiered yet (same timeslot) and all I’m going to say is, what the hell? The episode was a very strange combination of boring, predictable, suprising, and completely bizarre. And nothing really happened until the last 5 minutes. I’m not going to be keeping up with this weekly. I’ll either wait until the DVDs come out or periodically catch up on a bunch of episodes at a time. I refuse to be frustrated like I was last season….

Invasion: Liked this better than Threshold, I think, but I'm still not really impressed. It's kind of too soon to say though, since they didn't really tell us what's going on at all. I like that the main cast are regular people and not government agents though.

Veronica Mars: AHHH. Don’t want to spoil this for Mira, but this show is still completely awesome and better than anything else on TV right now. But man, I really seem to have it for the bad boys because Logan is so hot. Hotter than Gilmore Girls Logan BY FAR. Yes, I know he’s a jerk. And he’s immature. And he has a massive amount of emotional baggage. But HE’S HOT.

Alias: Again, don't want to spoil, but I'm still annoyed at J.J. Abrams. He's so good at messing with our heads that I can't be sure of anything that happens on this show. I'm probably going to take the same approach as with Lost and catch up periodically because the cliffhangers just kill me and I can't take the frustration week after week. I'm kind of skeptical of how they're going to keep the show interesting with Jennifer Garner being very very pregnant. One of the key components of Alias has always been Sydney kicking ass and if she can't do that then it'll just be strange. Hopefully this will be the last season because it's really just been losing steam for awhile now.

Everybody Hates Chris: I'm not that big of a fan of Chris Rock, but the show had really good buzz so I checked it out. And it's actually just a really funny family sitcom. The kid who's playing Chris is doing a super good job and while all the characters and lines are really funny, the show is surprisingly real and heartfelt. Not something you really expect from Chris Rock.

Jennifer's final TV lineup: Who the heck knows? Haha. For the first time in my life I have my own TV but there are too many shows in the same timeslots and I've been getting home too late to watch half of them anyway. I need DVR/Tivo. If I could only just decide to get it...

No comments: