Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Beautiful People

Man I have to stop subjecting myself to really bad teen shows like this. I mean, the title, Beautiful People, is just stupid, and the advertising was really confusing. You're led to believe that the mother and two daughters are the beautiful people but the tagline is "looks can be deceiving." Which was supposed to mean what, exactly? That the beautiful women on the ad are hiding something horrible? I made, it all made more sense once you watched the show (the popular clique at Sophie's new prep school is called the BPs, i.e. "beautiful people"), but for weeks I was seeing the ads and going "huh?"

Another bad sign was that this was "from the producers of Dawson's Creek." I'll admit that I kind of look back on DC fondly but I think that had more to do with its creator, Kevin Williamson. When he left the show to these aforementioned producers, things went really really bad (ahem, Joey).

So why did I tune in? Well, I kind of like Daphne Zuniga. She was in this eighties romantic comedy with John Cusack called the Sure Thing that was filmed at Cornell. Plus ABC Family makes really cute original movies, so I thought this might have some hope. And it's the summer and I wanted to watch something new.

And wow, this was bad. First of all, shows that are set in New York but use fake green screen skylines: not good. And truthfully, this was a little racy to be on ABC Family, where the original romantic comedies usually end with the kissing and nothing else. 10th graders smoking pot, hot tubbing in the nude, drinking with fake IDs...I mean, what the heck?? And the requisite cute guy isn't even cute!

Haha, of course I do still want to watch the next ABC Family original movie though (Campus Confidential). Christy Carlson Romano from Even Stevens is starring in it!

No comments: