Sunday, September 30, 2007

Top Chef goes into the wild

Last week I said that I didn't know who I was rooting for, and the first part of the finale didn't help me make up my mind at all. Going into it I thought that Dale and Brian were the weaker of the four, but Dale really stepped it up and even won the Elimination. That left Brian to be sent home. He was a funny guy and I think he made a good showing, but he was just the worst this week and that's all there was to it. And you know, I think the second part of the finale is going to be the same: whoever has the best dishes is just going to win, and I'll totally be ok with it. I would probably say that Dale's my favorite, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want him to win because I don't know how the final challenge is going to go. While all this means that this season's competition has been overall pretty fair, it kind of makes things less exciting.

I thought the Quickfire was a little cruel. Seeing them hunched over those tiny outdoor areas was a little painful, especially with the awesome Eric Ripert looking on. And man, 20 minutes is not a lot of time, especially since they had to clean the fish. I was surprised to see seafood man Brian all frazzled, and what was this about trout not really being considered seafood?

The Elimination was a little narrow I thought...at this point I think the chefs should be allowed to choose their own proteins, so having them ALL do elk was a bit weird. I've never had elk before, but I have had antelope once, and I'm not so sure I'm a big fan of game meats. (I know, I know, if really want to be a foodie I should be more open to exotic meats, but I mean, I don't even like dark meat chicken...) I liked seeing more focus on the sauces though...Dale's blackberry sauce and Casey's smoked sauce both sounded really awesome.

Anyway, this season has seemed somewhat long and I'm definitely ready for it to be over. Plus, this means that Project Runway will be returning soon. November 14th, mark your calendars!

No comments: