Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Pilot reviews part 3 - The Big Bang Theory and Cane

The Big Bang Theory: Or, Beauty and the Geek: the sitcom. This show was introduced as being from the creators of Two and a Half Men, so yeah, I wasn't expecting much. So in that respect, it wasn't really too bad. There was some funny stuff and all, but I mean, if I want to see geeks saying geeky things and pretty girls not understanding them, then well, I'm already watching Beauty and the Geek. So...Big Bang Theory = unnecessary.

Cane: I guess CBS was trying to go for something glamorous here but I'm not sure it really worked. There's a lot of great actors in the cast, like Jimmy Smits and Hector Elizondo and Rita Moreno even, and plenty of pretty people, and the setup is pretty generous: a large extended Cuban family, business rivalries, sibling rivalries, pretty teenagers, etc. But I don't know, maybe this is just me being stereotypical, but I was kind of expecting it to be...uh, hotter? I mean, it's South Florida, the rum business, nightclubs, Latino music...and yet the pilot managed to be pretty plodding. There was a pretty lengthy preview at the end of the episode that outlined a bunch of upcoming plot points (a lot of business dealings that turn violent, it seems, and an appearance by Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger?) and it seems that things might get more exciting but I'm not sure if I'm interested enough. It's not really in a competitive timeslot though so I think it has an ok chance of sticking around.

No comments: