Thursday, June 28, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance - The couples so far!

Now that it's a few weeks into So You Think You Can Dance, I think I can finally give some of my thoughts on this year's dancers:

Sara and Jesus: One of my favorite couples right now. I like Sara because her b-girl/hip-hop things makes her kind of unconventional...usually the girls tend to be contemporary or ballroom. She's done amazingly well with the different genres thrown at her, though perhaps krumping this week was a lucky draw, although it felt more hip-hop and not quite as scary as I remember it from last year. Love Jesus too--this couple definitely has a lot of fun up there.

Shauna and Cedric: I don't think I really appreciated Shauna at all until her solo from last week. She's pretty awesome, and proved it again last night. Too bad she keeps being saddled with somewhat sucky partners. I'm not going to deny that Cedric is great in his own style, but all his movements have this sort of awkward gangly look to them which just doesn't work with, well, anything outside his own style. I did like that Cedric was so honest about his training and skill level though. I think he'll be out this week.

Lacey and Kameron: I know they're kind of a golden couple at the moment but somehow I'm not feeling them. I know that technically they're both quite good and they're definitely both entertainers but I don't know, maybe that awesome Mia Michaels routine from the first week kind of set up too high of expectations?

Anya and Danny: For some reason I'm still kind of withholding judgment on these two. Nothing they've done has been the least bit bad but nothing has really caught my attention either, especially last night's hip-hop routine, which just seemed pretty standard. Or maybe that's a choreography problem?

Sabra and Dominic: Hands down my favorite couple! I don't remember Sabra being given any screentime at all during the auditions so maybe that's why she's surprised me so much but she's just amazing. She's so light on her feet and she just looks kind of effortless up there. And Dominic continues to impress...talk about versatility and picking things up quickly! They've got great chemistry and just seem like really nice, fun people.

Lauren and Neil: I'm not sure what to think here. I do like both of them, but somehow their performances just haven't been coming together. They could be in trouble...

Jaimie and Hok: Hok is definitely a fan favorite and I feel like that alone is going to keep him in the competition for a long time regardless of his performances. But luckily he's been doing very respectably. I'm not sure how their jazz routine last night was jazz at all but it was Wade Robson so of course it was brilliant! Jaimie is getting a little overshadowed by her partner, I think, but she's definitely holding her own.

Jessi and Pasha: I kind of knew that something was up last night when Cat refrained from mentioning who the last couple was before the last commercial break. It was kind of hard to tell whether Jessi's condition was serious or not and what her chances were of being back tonight but I'm glad that Pasha got a chance to perform anyway. That boy is so lucky he keeps getting the ballroom draws because he is awesome! Jessi...I feel bad for saying that I wasn't a huge fan of hers (especially the whole "save me from my boring office job as an event planner" thing) but I really do hope she's ok. The show is live, so that decision might not have even been made yet. It would be really unfortunate if she couldn't come back for this reason though...

No comments: