Sunday, September 25, 2005

covers

I really enjoy cover songs...it's funny how different interpretations of the same song can be. (I still contend that the New Found Glory version of The Glory of Love is still ten times better than the original.) For fans of covers, there's a podcast called Coverville that puts together an amazing collection of interesting cover songs for three (yes, count 'em, THREE) shows a week. Check it out if you ever want to listen to something different.

Anyway, the reason for this post is that yesterday I was sitting in Barnes and Noble reading and the song that was playing caught my attention. They had been playing a CD of what sounded like Frank Sinatra type classics, like "Come Fly With Me," and this song had the same style and sound but something about it was just off. I started listening more closely and realized that it was actually a very bizarre cover of Maroon 5's "This Love"! Who the heck was singing it? I thought it might be Michael Bublé but I looked it up online this morning, and it's not. Who did then, you ask?

JOHN STEVENS! That skinny kid from American Idol third season! B&N was playing his entire album, and I have to say that I thought the vocals were really pretty good. Very pleasant background music for a bookstore, definitely. I'm not really sure what's the point of covering Sinatra songs in the exact same style as the originals but I thought the Maroon 5 song was a great choice to make the album more interesting. I wonder how well it's selling though...

1 comment:

mira said...

ANFG's Glory of Love is suuuuuuuuuuch a great song!!!!!

I had no idea that the tall-curly-red-headed John Stevens got an album! I so enjoyed his Sinatra-style! But does he have any ORIGINAL songs???