Thursday, March 22, 2007

No surprise here, Friday Night Lights hits me straight in the heart

First off, there's a Stonehenge II in Texas?? That is strange and ridiculous and funny and awesome all at the same time.

With that out of the way, I can return to my regularly scheduled gushing. Seriously, this is as good as it gets on TV. (On a side note, I know how annoying it can get when people gush about a show and you just don't get it (that's Grey's Anatomy for me), so if you've given FNL a try and you don't like it, I apologize!) Even this week's episode, which was kind of just playing catch-up after the hiatus, was pretty much pitch perfect.

Wasn't surprised that Jason didn't make the team for Beijing. I'm not sure why he thinks everyone in Dillon hates him because of the lawsuit though...did you see how Smash and Matt literally jumped out of the car to invite him to hang out with them? Speaking of which, the scenes with the boys on the football field were classic. I wonder if they're setting up Jason to be part of the team's coaching staff next year. Also wasn't all that surprised at him kissing that tattoo girl. I kind of liked her. Sucks for Lyla, I suppose, but they kind of never should have gotten engaged in the first place.

Speaking of Lyla, Minka Kelly is still the only actor on the show that I don't always buy but I think she's improving. The scene with Lyla and her mother inside the house and Buddy outside was seriously intense. Was surprised that she decided to get all destructive at Buddy's dealership though I guess now she's "angry chick."

Also dealing with the fallout from Buddy's indiscretions were Tyra and her mom. Glad to see that Tyra is starting care more about school and believe that she can get into college, even though this storyline is pretty typical bad girl territory. I think that one of the best things about this show is that they can be predictable without being boring. I mean, speaking of predictable, we all saw the Tim/neighbor hookup from the second they met, and we pretty much all know where it's going to go, but somehow I'm still ok with it. Plus it got us the best Riggins line in the episode: "I just tried to make out with my next door neighbor who's in her mid-thirties at least...I win." (Runner up: "That's so Brokeback.")

How great were the scenes with boys on the football field?? I actually really liked the way they had Smash talking about Waverly. I'm glad he didn't bottle it all up inside or even react unnaturally well. He's a teenager, and yeah, what he said was a bit harsh, but I think it was a little "roughed up" for the guys. That story's not over yet. Also liked Matt's little freakout over the playoffs as well. It's his first year as QB, and he's never had the self-confidence that the other guys have. Loved when Landry called him Coach's "little engine that could" and "Seabiscuit," haha. Good thing Julie was smart enough to not have told him about her possibly moving, that would have made the poor boy even more conflicted.

Finally we come to the Taylors, who are quickly becoming my favorite TV family ever. I suppose you could say that Julie was being a brat by saying she didn't want to move when obviously it's a great opportunity for her dad, but I think at 15 you're allowed to be a brat. I really liked the talk Julie and the Coach had in the car. The Taylors have obviously been moving around a lot, but I think that always being the new kid is especially hard during high school, and if Julie finally feels like she's found a home, then that's worth considering. Of course, putting this in the context of TV land, if there's a Season 2, of course they can't move!

Next week looks AWESOME.

No comments: