Wednesday, March 07, 2007

American Idol keeps chugging

So last night was perfect proof of why even though I enjoy watching American Idol, I'm never going to be a huge fan. The first singer up, Blake, sang 311's "All Mixed Up," which the none of the judges recognized but praised for being "modern."

First of all, wasn't this song popular what, 10 years ago? I'm not a huge fan of 311 or anything, but really, if the judges have never heard of this song, it shows that they've been completely out of touch with "modern" music for a really long time and it shows that they'll probably never be that interested in it.

Blake's been my favorite so far, but I'm not sure that he even really belongs here. I appreciate the variety he brings and he definitely is talented, but I can't see him winning at all. It's the same way I felt about Chris Daughtry last year. Although even though Chris got kicked off early, Idol did basically launch his band into instant success (although I find his music to be kind of laughably horrible, actually, though pretty much what I expected from someone who chose to sing Creed and Shinedown on the show). So maybe Blake can do that too, because he's definitely someone who needs a band. I mean, can you imagine him singing one of those sappy cookie cutter songs that the show makes the winner sing? You couldn't imagine Chris Daughtry singing something like that either.

Anyway, due to DVR conflicts, I've seen the guys sing a few times so far but I haven't seen the girls yet. Not too many of the guys have been that impressive so far, excepting maybe Chris Sligh and Sundance, though the latter really should not have attempted to sing Pearl Jam last night. I'll watch the girls tonight, but I think what I'm really waiting for is Top 12 and the theme nights (which will hopefully be good this year).

No comments: